• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Import Problems with FCE

• Thread starter thegrimmsleeper
  • Start date
T

thegrimmsleeper

I'm having some trouble importing AVI files into Final Cut Express; when I go to File > Import, none of them are selectable. A few of them don't want to play in Quicktime either, I just receive a white screen. But even the ones that play fine in Quicktime can't be imported.

Am I missing something? A codec or something? I've got the latest version of FCE with all the updates...

OP
T

thegrimmsleeper

No one else has experienced this? I can't find anything on it at FCE's support site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
To my knowlage ( i use final cut pro not express but very simluar) avi's can not be used in final cut you have to convert them first.

OP
T

thegrimmsleeper

PowerBookG4 said:
To my knowlage ( i use final cut pro not express but very simluar) avi's can not be used in final cut you have to convert them first.

According to the manual, you can use AVI's or Quicktime movie files. But I'm thinking maybe it was the codec the AVI was created with; perhaps it's not compatible with FCE.

OP
T

thegrimmsleeper

I'm getting seriously irked here. I've downloaded every codec I can think of and nothing is working.

Is there some way to convert these AVI's to Quicktime format without having to buy additional software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Install ffmpegX. When you drag a file to where it says "Drop Here", it will tell you the format it is really in. For instance, I'm sure FCE cannot handle AVI DivX files. AVI is a wrapper similar to Quicktime so it could have nearly anything in it.

ffmpegX is a small hassle to install but should allow you to convert the file to a DV file that FCE can handle. Review the Video tab because the default seems to be 16:9 ratio, but you likely want 4:3 and 720x480 I think. For audio you want PCM (DV).

OP
T

thegrimmsleeper

I'll check that out; thanks a lot!

xstep said:
Install ffmpegX. When you drag a file to where it says "Drop Here", it will tell you the format it is really in. For instance, I'm sure FCE cannot handle AVI DivX files. AVI is a wrapper similar to Quicktime so it could have nearly anything in it.

ffmpegX is a small hassle to install but should allow you to convert the file to a DV file that FCE can handle. Review the Video tab because the default seems to be 16:9 ratio, but you likely want 4:3 and 720x480 I think. For audio you want PCM (DV).

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with avi. files right now. I formatted my Mac and re-installed FCP. Before that I could play and import avi. files perfectly in FCP. I was even editing some LOST episodes in avi. format, but now FCP cannot import avi. files anymore.

All I did was re-install the software and make the neccessary updates through Sofware Update (to get to the 5.1.4 version). Is it the codecs, the update or what? Any insight on this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.