file save

Reaction score
Hi
new Macbook , still getting used to it. Can you please tell me how to "save" and save as" in Macworld?
thanks

M

MacInWin

What application? Typically, you find the save/save as in the top bar menu, under the "File" tabs. Sometimes Save As is listed as "Rename" or "Move to..." and works slightly different than Windows "Save As." In the "Rename" variety, it is literally that, the file is renamed and the old file is overwritten. IN the "Move to..." you enter the new name (and location) and a copy is created. This difference from Windows stems from the Unix base of OSX where the unix commands cp and mv executed copy and move the same way I just described.

OP
J
Reaction score
Save as

Thank you very much...I really appreciate your time , as well as the forum.
The explanation you gave was very clear...I think that I have it now...
again, many thanks

C

chas_m

You can also get to "Save As" by holding the option (alt) key as you open the File menu on most apps.

And while we're at it: there's a little box with a carat pointing up next to the area where you type in the filename. Click it so its pointing down, and you get to specify exactly where you want to save things, rather than just the popular options offered when the little box pointer is pointing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.