Apple TV/Toslink to XLR (or 1/4")

Reaction score
What is the best option, preferably costing under $100 or so, for using an Apple TV in conjunction with a very large, professional sound system that takes XLR and 1/4".

I currently have a FiiO digital to analogue converter (this one Amazon.com: FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC: Electronics). However, I worry that converting from a the ATV's toslink to RCA and then to 1/4" might damage the sound.

I've been looking at this converter (Amazon.com: Hosa CDL-313 Coaxial-SPDIF to AES-EBU Link - Converter Coaxial Data Link AES/EBU (XLR) to S/PDIF (RCA) (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics), which connects the Toslink directly to XLR. Presumably this will sound better than using a DAC as both formats are digital? Or because XLR is better balanced?

Please advise, I would like the best sound possible.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.