Which is better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
When I got my first iMAC over 3 years ago I re-imported all my CD's into iTunes as MP3's. I'm now re-importing them with Apple's LossLess format. But I have a question regarding buying the Beatles remixed box set off iTunes in the new Mastered for iTunes format vs buying the CD's and importing them into iTunes.

I want the BEST audio quality for these, cost is no object.

Thanks

Tom

C

chas_m

From a technical point of view, there is no question that uncompress, lossless audio such as ALAC (Apple's lossless) created from the CDs is the better option.

From an "ears" perspective, I doubt you will detect any difference whatsoever. Even people with good hearing have diminished ability as they age (normal), so beyond like 25 years old (or even lower if you went ot a lot of loud concerts), you are not going to tell the difference in a practical fashion.

But for the best audio quality, ripping them from CD into a lossless format is better. Just be aware that you'll probably have to do this yet again someday ... when the super-special 96-bit 2048K remastering with bonus holographic imagery version comes out ... :)

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
From a technical point of view, there is no question that uncompress, lossless audio such as ALAC (Apple's lossless) created from the CDs is the better option.

From an "ears" perspective, I doubt you will detect any difference whatsoever. Even people with good hearing have diminished ability as they age (normal), so beyond like 25 years old (or even lower if you went ot a lot of loud concerts), you are not going to tell the difference in a practical fashion.

But for the best audio quality, ripping them from CD into a lossless format is better. Just be aware that you'll probably have to do this yet again someday ... when the super-special 96-bit 2048K remastering with bonus holographic imagery version comes out ... :)

Perfect response. I'm 62 and spent over 22 years in the USAF, so my hearing has suffered, yes the constant tweaking and re-releasing of recorded material will probably never end "when the super-special 96-bit 2048K remastering with bonus holographic imagery version comes out" but by then I'll either be listening to boys in person or in a home drooling.

My audio system is old school 2 channel consisting of some Magnepan Tympani IVa speakers and Carver power/pre amps and assorted gear plus a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. They will bury me with my gear.

My plan is to buy the CD box set and import them into iTunes as Lossless and keep the CD's for special listening sessions.

Cheers

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.