• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Router table full problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Anybody else noticing that the 'Net is majorly broken this morning? Sites are coming and going, including this one. And Google? Ten zillion google servers and I can't hit one? Wikipedia and Yahoo are two others that I give instant 404s. But others, both minor and major websites are available.

After trying various sites from home, I headed to my favorite coffee shop and tried. Same thing and the other patrons were having the same problems. I had to use a Tor browser and reroute though a foreign proxy to get here.

I assume that the problem is the high end router table overflow that has hit the tech news in the last day or so. This is East Texas. Anybody else seeing the same thing?

It can be worked around by taking different routes, but this might be a problem if it isn't fixed soon.

Reaction score
Had problems hitting Google this morning and a couple of other sites but all good right now.
Only lasted a couple minutes, about 4:00am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Sounds like a net split.. Happens every so often.. That said, this can also happen when you have issues with your DNS server. Try a difference DNS like OpenDNS and see if theirs helps. I use them.

My ISP Bayantel has really crap DNS servers, I have to run alternative ones just to access my own website from time to time.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a net split.. Happens every so often.. That said, this can also happen when you have issues with your DNS server. Try a difference DNS like OpenDNS and see if theirs helps. I use them.

My ISP Bayantel has really crap DNS servers, I have to run alternative ones just to access my own website from time to time.

Not in this case. Working pretty good this morning, EXCEPT…

for mac-forums.com and wikipedia. Could not reach either, starting from about 6:45am CST, from home , from Starbucks or from the University lab (and they have a massive backbone). Until about 9:00am. Now they resolve just fine.

Didn't know anybody in the coffee shop to see if they could it them, but nothing at the University could resolve the above addresses, without proxying from through somewhere else.

Interesting, for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Saw an article yesterday, something about DNS swapping and rerouting and was it time to start using IPV6 for everything? but cant find it now :(
I think it said something about addresses disappearing. Still looking for it...

Edit: Found it! The IPv4 Internet Hiccups - Slashdot

This likely could be the case here in the Philippines.. Most of Asia has great internet, yet Philippines internet is ranked lowest in the world..

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last two days have seen the problem disappear, at least here. Tuesday it was really bad, got better on Wednesday, then Thursday seemed to be gone.

I met a friend (non-technical type) for lunch during the week and he told me that his router had been acting up in the last few days. He called AT&T and they told him that his router was bad and there could be no other reason for all the PCs in his house not being able to see major sites. I told him that he might want to wait a few days before blowing the money and tried to give him the lay explanation of what might be happening.

Hopefully by now all the high end 'Net routers have been reconfigured and rebooted.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-the-internet-hiccuped-7000032643/

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.