USB drive not recognized in Disk Utility

Reaction score
Running Mavericks on an '09 iMac. The superdrive is not functional. I installed a USB burner which works fine with iTunes, but is not recognized in Disk Utility. Is there a "fix" for this issue. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have a disc in the drive while running Disc Utility? If there is no disc I don't think it appears at all if there dis no disc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. I can verify what Slydude stated as true. My 2013 iMac has no optical drive but I use two different external drives. Neither one will show up in Disk Utility or on the desktop unless a disk is inserted. And by the way, I also have a USB floppy drive (yeah I know...) that acts the same way until a floppy disk is inserted. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow!!! That was the quickest, easiest fix ever. You're totally correct. Many thanks. I've been scratching my head over this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As the others said, all you get is the desktop icon and when a disc is inserted, check DU.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
+1. I can verify what Slydude stated as true. My 2013 iMac has no optical drive but I use two different external drives. Neither one will show up in Disk Utility or on the desktop unless a disk is inserted. And by the way, I also have a USB floppy drive (yeah I know...) that acts the same way until a floppy disk is inserted. ;)

Wow you still have a floppy drive. I had one of those for my old G3 iMac. Is it the Apple USB powered one that looks like it's coated in grey stripey plastic? And I hesitate to ask but what do you use it for?:Smirk:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know this has nothing to do with this post but on the subject of relics does anybody have a 20th Anniversary Mac? This was without a doubt the strangest mac ever made. And at the time retailed for over $7,000.00 dollars.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow you still have a floppy drive. I had one of those for my old G3 iMac. Is it the Apple USB powered one that looks like it's coated in grey stripey plastic? And I hesitate to ask but what do you use it for?:Smirk:

Actually, it's a Sony USB 2.0 bus powered floppy drive designed for use with a Mac or a PC. The drive is a left over from the PC (Dell desktop) that I used at our office. We no longer have the Dell and the lease expired on the office we were renting. I did get use out of the drive as we had many older Word and text files that were archived to 3.5" 1.44 MB floppies. I copied them from the floppies on to the Mac and eventually to CDs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a USB Imation floppy drive. Thought it was a Sony but I just checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.