• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yosemite ! how do you pronounce it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi there Lads and Lasses, we are due a new OS X operating system soon, I was invited to receive the BETA version, but declined (much to complicated for me)

One of my fellow english friends knew I had an invite, he asked me if I had installed the Beta version of "????????????" yet ?

I did not understand what he said and he repeated it 4 times as well, it was much later I realised he WAS talking about YOS-E-MITE

He had used the American (I guess) pronunciation, how do you Pronounce this word please.

Is it only the Americans that say this word incorrectly ????

Tim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Considering that Apple named it after the American park, I imagine that they are actually saying it the right way (the way that it is pronounced where the park is). ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did not understand what he said and he repeated it 4 times as well, it was much later I realised he WAS talking about YOS-E-MITE

He had used the American (I guess) pronunciation, how do you Pronounce this word please.

Is it only the Americans that say this word incorrectly ????

This is how it's pronounced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS6_uh-fwmY

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Considering that Apple named it after the American park, I imagine that they are actually saying it the right way (the way that it is pronounced where the park is). ;)

Yosemite National Park (yoh-sem-it-ee) is a United States National Park

great stuff, I have it now, thanks "vansmith" I can see now that it IS spelt completely different to the way it is spoken.

I dont believe it, but on TV at this very minute, they are showing the Yosemite Park featured on a program, entitled Monumemtal Mysteries ! fascinating, thanks

Yosemite National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other words that are not pronounced the way they appear:

- plumbing
- doubt
- Jose
- pneumonia
- Illinois
- psychology
- Des Moines
- knead
- Wednesday
- Jeopardy
- February
- receipt
- island
- asthma
- colonel
- zucchini

And many many more.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A friend of mine calls Illinois ILLNOISE !! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A friend of mine calls Illinois ILLNOISE !! :D

Considering what goes on in Chicago on a normal Summer day, he's probably right pronouncing it that way. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pronounced to rhyme with 'Vegemite'!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Fair comment chaps, there IS on word in the English language that has annoyed me for ever and ever.

It isn't the colour RED, it is the word READ !!!!!

"You can READ a book, after which you have READ the book"

the same word, used in both places, with a completely different sound and meaning !!!.

Tim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't the colour RED, it is the word READ !!!!!

"You can READ a book, after which you have READ the book"

the same word, used in both places, with a completely different sound and meaning !!!.

Great example!:)

Not only do we deal with words that are spelled one way & pronounced another…but different countries spelling the same word differently:

- colour = UK/commonwealth spelling
- color = USA spelling

Regarding the READ/READ analogy. I grew up near a town called Reading (pronounced Redding)…England has one as well. But then if you are "reading" a book…a completely different pronunciation.;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
"pigoo3" yes, and excellent example :Cool:

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yosemite National Park (yoh-sem-it-ee) is a United States National Park

Yosemite National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Tim - for those who have not visited Yosemite National Park and get a chance, please go - wife & I have been there a few times - so many beautiful & majestic sites to see, the valley, lakes, redwoods, and mountains, especially 'Half Dome.'

Ansel Adams (1902-1984), a famous American nature photographer, took numerous B&W photographs of the park - we purchased a couple Ansel Adams 'Half Dome' (shown below) pictures - these are their 'special' edition, i.e. made from Adams' original negatives, not the originals made by him nor signed but quite beautiful in person - for those interested, check out this Website - Dave :)

AnselAdams1.jpg

AnselAdams2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If Timmy you go into Yosemite's System preferences, under Desktop the first photo is a beautiful shot of Yosemite in colour.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Exactly as I thought. Nice to hear I'd been pronouncing it correctly though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there are a fair number of folks outside of the US that have questions on how to pronounce Yosemite. I wonder if Apple ever considered this when coming up with the name (I'm thinking not). Oops!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What...??? You mean to say that it wasn't named after Yosemite Sam, from the California based Warner Bros created cartoon character????

Well I'll be, and I'm sure they were show world wide, but I guess the pronunciation might have changed a bit in the various regions. :D

BTW: I'm having trouble remembering how Steve Jobs pronounced some software that was completely different from everyone else.

Reaction score
Hi all.
That's too funny, I used to live in Reading (England). I'm now here in the US, what a small planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

- February

Well, if you pronounce it correctly, the spelling is fine:

Feb·ru·ar·y [feb-roo-er-ee, feb-yoo‐]

The first one is the preferred pronunciation. But, many folks say "Feb-you-ware-ie". There is no W in the word. The same people have a similar issue with the preceding month.

I've noticed that about 99% of news people on TV have trouble saying the name of a major US city correctly. It's in Nevada, and they say what happens there stays there. But it's not called "Los Vegas"!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Toronto deserves to be on that list. You can always tell when a non-Canadian says it (they always emphasize the second T). Canadians pronounce it with the second T being silent (so, it would sound like Torono).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.