Okay, I'm listing my very few problems with mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Okay, title's pretty self explanatory, but here they are:

1. Not compatible with Windows Apps (but hey if I wanted Windows apps I'd get a Windows machine).
2. Expensive. Macs cost a LOT of money.
3. Portability. My whole family has laptops, and I'm now the only one with a desktop. (I'll address this soon in another forum...)

That's all I can think of. If you look at those, it's a small price to pay to switch from Windows to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
BlindingLights said:
Okay, title's pretty self explanatory, but here they are:

1. Not compatible with Windows Apps (but hey if I wanted Windows apps I'd get a Windows machine).
2. Expensive. Macs cost a LOT of money.
3. Portability. My whole family has laptops, and I'm now the only one with a desktop. (I'll address this soon in another forum...)

That's all I can think of. If you look at those, it's a small price to pay to switch from Windows to Mac.

1. Use Virtual PC if you have a non-Intel Mac, or wait a bit until the Universal version is released. Otherwise, I've found replacements for 99% of the software I use (of course, my replacement list is about two pages long...). What Windows apps do you want to run on your Mac? Post a list and we can compare replacements :)

2. Macs give you sticker shock, but that's partially because PCs are sold with low-end hardware for cheapo and come with crapware. Macs start out configured decently and include useful software. If you go to Apple's store right now, you'll see that even the low-end stuff is going to run nicer than a $299 Dell. You also pay for software up front with the Mac - OS X and iLife 2006 are the two big ones. I'd compare OS X to Windows XP Professional rather than Home because of what it can do with networking alone, so factor that into the cost. You'll have to buy Office on a PC or Mac anyway, since PCs usually include a trial of Office or some low-end version or Office clone. They come out about even in the end, although Macs are slightly more expensive (face it, you're paying for a cooler, more reliable machine, hehe).

3. Apple makes laptops...plus the Mac Mini & iMac are fairly portable, if you're just running over to someone's house. Have you already purchased a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Macs seems to be overpriced, but you have to realize the extras you get from "similar" Windows-based machines. Think about an iBook and a "similar" Windows laptop, low-end laptops use integrated video with shared memory, while the iBook has a ATI Radeon video card with dedicated memory, the iBook's battery lasts up to 6hrs, the average battery for other laptops lasts up to 3hrs, if you want more time you have to add $100-$200, and most important, try to carry a laptop with one hand, you will feel how it bends, move the screen and you'll see how unprotected it is, try to do the same with an iBook and you will see the difference. The same goes for all Apple products. If you still think it is too much, check the refurbished section in Apple's website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
1. They may not be compatible with the Windows versions you currently have, but, most major work-related software has Mac and PC versions. Those that don't, almost always have a counterpart of some sort. Also, in the future, it may be possible to install both Windows and OS X on the new Intel Macs, so that would solve many problems.

2. For what you are getting, not much more.

3. Portability. I'm assuming you are just referring to your current situation, rather than a problems with Macintosh, since Apple has laptops.

B

BoingoBongo

I personally don't find Macs too expensive. I mean, yes they cost a whole lot of money, but they're not overpriced. Before I bought my iMac I found similarly spec'd computers from Dell and others to actually be more expensive.

The difference is that the other companies have those $299 systems that really make Apple seem overpriced, but you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
dell has a 599 laptop with no wireless capability, a slow processor, software (and by software i mean all you get it word perfect), 256 mb of ram, and 90 days of warrenty!
what a deal! but what about all the upgrades and software you have to buy?
theres the ram, theres 150, MS Word 130, Antivirus and Firewall 100, wireless 80, add on if you want but i got around $1059.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Before I jumped back into the Mac scene I was under the impression that Mac hardware was expensive as well, but then I started looking at iBooks compared to other Laptops and was surprised at just how much hardware Apple actually packs into their hardware, I found out about the great Software packages later on.

I found it very amuzing when alot of websites where comparing Mac mini's to low end Dell/HP machines, they completely missed the mark on their observations as they seemed to base it off certin parts of hardware (mostly CPU) and ignored the whole software package, it didn't help it's image to much in a way.

Mind you, I feel that the price thing more extends from history as alot of older Mac's in the mid 90's cost a furtune! The image of that has flowed onto today but it's very quickly being broken down.

K

Kokopelli

If you are looking at a PC to accomplish your general computing tasks, Macs are more expensive than mainline Windows machines such as Dell. Live with it. The cost may be justified or might not depending upon the user and what he uses it for.

Apple is different. OS X is not Windows and thus there are advantages and disadvantages to each. I find OS X to be better and more efficient for most of the things I do.

<RANT>
If you consider Macs too expensive, don't get one. Simple as that. If you consider the cost and find the additional money spent to be worth it then by default the Mac is not too expensive for you. Simple as that, make your choice too expensive or worth the extra cost. Macs are not fighting on price with the Dells of the world so don't bother with the comparison.

This is honestly one negative side effect to the switch to Intel, the endless comparisons have gotten even more rampant now. Dell and Apple are not going on the same selling points. Dell is targeting a mass produced PC that will get the jo done for a low cost. Apple i marketing a PC and operating system designed to make your computing experience cohesive and pleasant. Dell's main selling point is the low cost, Apple's is user experience.

Repeat after me: Apple is not a Wintel computer, Apple is not a Wintel computer....

Yes the CPU is now the same but the overall package (predominantly OS X) is NOT. Gah, I am done for now. <Skulks back to his padded cell />

</RANT>

K. (who should not post pre-coffee)

I

imacdoyou

Well, look at the 20" IMac G5. It's priced at 1499 now. that's for the hardware, software and the 20" LCD display that it's all built into. Look at what a 20" flat screen apple cinema display alone would cost (799.00), then your left with about a 700.00 computer including the software. That's a great deal in my eyes......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I agree with your sentiments entirely, but your reasoning is a bit flawed:

If the argument is "apple is overpriced" it hardly helps to say:
"Well apple's monitors are overpriced too, so they're almost giving away the computer!"

;)

I

imacdoyou

I've priced 20" LCD displays from 400.00 all the way to 1200.00...that would put the apple display somewhat in the middle price range no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, not compared to dell's displays that use the same LG panels...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
doesn't apple get first pick of the pannels though? So this would mean that they are better quality?

D

DigitalN.

****, look at the Macbook Pro 2GHz. dual core, 256 X1600 graphics, up to a 120GB Hard drive, superdrive, dual link DVI, SUPERB display quality. all at the price of 2500 CAD or so. now try and find a windows laptop that does ALL that, and is only 1" thich. good luck.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kaidomac said:
1. Use Virtual PC if you have a non-Intel Mac, or wait a bit until the Universal version is released. Otherwise, I've found replacements for 99% of the software I use (of course, my replacement list is about two pages long...). What Windows apps do you want to run on your Mac? Post a list and we can compare replacements :)

2. Macs give you sticker shock, but that's partially because PCs are sold with low-end hardware for cheapo and come with crapware. Macs start out configured decently and include useful software. If you go to Apple's store right now, you'll see that even the low-end stuff is going to run nicer than a $299 Dell. You also pay for software up front with the Mac - OS X and iLife 2006 are the two big ones. I'd compare OS X to Windows XP Professional rather than Home because of what it can do with networking alone, so factor that into the cost. You'll have to buy Office on a PC or Mac anyway, since PCs usually include a trial of Office or some low-end version or Office clone. They come out about even in the end, although Macs are slightly more expensive (face it, you're paying for a cooler, more reliable machine, hehe).

3. Apple makes laptops...plus the Mac Mini & iMac are fairly portable, if you're just running over to someone's house. Have you already purchased a Mac?

Mainly, I wanna use Rome: Total War... otherwise not much more. That's why when vista comes out, I'm partitioning my hard drive and using only like ten gigs worth of space towards vista. Yeah, and portability- I mean I wanna take my Mac on plane rides... I have an iMac, and am considering an iBook if they lower the price and have vista available for it.

But I'm happy with my iMac. I didn't say they're over priced, they just cost a bit more than Windows machines. Heck, the low end Alienware comes about $750.

But macs are cooler :mac:

M

mactopsuit

Just throw yourself in, you'll love it! Don't bother with Virtual PC unless you use it in an office environment that requires you to use Windows software / network. It slows down your computer. Price, what's a few hundred dollars more in exchange for stability? My powerbook has not once hanged nor crashed for 1.5 years now and I use it everyday. You will appreciate the money you spent! ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
people... I'VE HAD AN iMAC!!!!!!

okay now that we all understand that...

I do love my iMac. Don't get me wrong, but I've just decided to make a list of the EXTREMELY FEW problem's I've had with Mac. I noticed I kept saying "The only problem I've had with mac is..." and I just wanted to make a quick list...

Now, my main problem right now is I wanna use rome: total war. but, i knew that i wouldn't be able to play it on the mac without windows emulation software.

K

Kokopelli

BlindingLights said:
people... I'VE HAD AN iMAC!!!!!!

okay now that we all understand that...

I do love my iMac. Don't get me wrong, but I've just decided to make a list of the EXTREMELY FEW problem's I've had with Mac. I noticed I kept saying "The only problem I've had with mac is..." and I just wanted to make a quick list...

Now, my main problem right now is I wanna use rome: total war. but, i knew that i wouldn't be able to play it on the mac without windows emulation software.

OK, I am sorry. After a while I at least get a little weary of the endless "Macs are expensive" statements. That combined with the "i can't play my windows game" note sets me a little more on edge than deserved I guess.

Some of us, maybe many of us, come to Mac-Forums to get away from those threads which proliferate like the locusts upon some other forums. I come here seeking discussion on Macs with other people who like and use Macs. By the fact that we all bit the bullet and made the purchase we all considered it worth the cost. (With some notable exceptions such as Avid6eek who, though he returned to windows, has continued to be a reasoned and polite contributor to these boards.) So seeing the whole "Macs are expensive" statement bandied about again automatically puts me in agressor mode I guess. :) It is a personal opnion and a valid one to have, but it just is not a topic that leads to polite conversation much anymore. Couch the statement in reasoning and flesh it out with some kind of justification and I would have been less... grouchy.

Then the "My windows apps don't run on the Mac." You managed to strike upon the #2 flame inducing comment in the Apple world. If you had made a comment about your $50 Dell outperforming a $3000 Apple you would have done the trifecta. ;) I guess I do not find it a reasonable complaint that Windows software does not run on the Mac. You knew this coming in I realize and accepted the fact. Many of us have some Windows software we would like to run on the Mac. Some of us, though not me, want to run Windows on the Mac for that matter. We made the sacrifice or we have run VMWare or its ilk up to now. Intel Macs don't run VMWare, but again you seem to have known this in advance. So it should not have come as a surprie you con not play your game on the Mac.

Whew, if you made it all the way through that let me apologize again. So I guess in my eyes this thread really was a flash point of elements that breed argument. I am not the cheeriest of people I grant but I genuinely like to help people. I saw "my few problems with my mac" and I thought something was wrong with it. Since we can not change the cost, make windows software work, nor shrink your Mac, what can we do for you?

Oh and welcome to the forums. For the most part we are a friendly bunch. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol...

I think this came across the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I am MORE than happy with my mac. I don't think i'll buy anything else ever again. I was just trying to see if there was a way to play this game that I love so much without parting with my favorite computer. That was more or less my statement.

I came to these forums because I am possibly the only person in town with a mac, so no one knows anything about them. I came here to discuss this mac as an outlet.

And there is no way a PC will ever outperform a mac of equivelant price. a 50 dollar dell wouldn't come close to a millionth of a mac.

Reaction score
I'll just ad my thoughts to this one.

What you list are not problems. They are features which you don't like. Price isn't somethign you can complain about. Macs are premium hardware and software items. Just like high spec cars are, you could buy a cheap car to get you from A to B, or you could buy a Ferarri and get you from A to B in style and comfort :)

As for games on the Mac. I'd like to think anyone willing to spend their money on a Mac would at least look to see what games they could get before they went out and bought it, if they knew they wanted to play games!!!

So basically, faults and problems are things that an item shouldn't do, but does. Everything else is simply a feature which doesn't suit a users needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.