How to take a screenshot of one screen when running dual monitors?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm running 10.9 on a 2011 iMac, and have a second monitor connected to it. Every time I take a screenshot, it takes a picture of the second screen too, though most times I have it off. A lot of screenshots start piling up and it's pretty annoying. Is there a way to get around this? I tried the command+shift+4+space, but that only lets me choose one window to screenshot. I only want to screenshot my iMac since it's my main window. Thanks everyone!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This should get the job done::)

⌘⇧3 gets you your full screen
⌘⇧4 gives you a cross-hair to drag and select an area
⌘⇧4, [space bar], [mouse click] gets a screenshot of the active window

- Nick

p.s. ⇧ = shift key

OP
P
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a way to take a screenshot without using crosshairs or selecting the active window :) Maybe via a script?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I tried the command+shift+4+space, but that only lets me choose one window to screenshot. I only want to screenshot my iMac since it's my main window.
Use Cmd-Shift-4, then drag to cover the whole screen.

Maybe via a script?
Why?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.