• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any Amateur Astronomers on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Any amateur astronomers on here using a Mac? Now that I am fully retired I have time to crank up a hobby that I have had since high school.

I have a very good Meade LX-200 10" classic 'scope that is still great, but my old CCD camera is ancient and uses SCSI 1 for the interface. In fact, in the mid 90's it was run remotely from my basement with a Windows 3.1 computer in the observatory and one inside the basement using a serial connection. When it worked it was great, but as usual, Win 3.1 would choke and die very frequently, requiring me to go back outside and reboot and reset. Win NT would have been much better, but the software just flat would not detect the camera on that OS.

But, times have changed, USB is the standard connection, and a Mac Mini would be a solid and great remote controller. Not to mention that CCD camera prices have dropped to ten percent or less of what they were. Right now I am starting the "learning whats new" process rather than buying (cameras and scopes, not Macs - got lots of those) and wonder if anyone else on here is into the same thing.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might I suggest something? As an amateur astronomer, you really need to look into some quality software for your Mac. The best is "Starry Night Pro" which was on sale back about 6 months ago - actually bundled with other apps.

As for equipment, you might want to think about updating your camera. Your Meade is still a very good scope. Nothing like a retired hobby to keep you out of the wife's hair. :p

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Might I suggest something? As an amateur astronomer, you really need to look into some quality software for your Mac. The best is "Starry Night Pro" which was on sale back about 6 months ago - actually bundled with other apps.

As for equipment, you might want to think about updating your camera. Your Meade is still a very good scope. Nothing like a retired hobby to keep you out of the wife's hair. :p

Thanks. Will look at that app. It needs to not only be a map, but a scope pointer as well. I assume it does both.

Most definitely I need new software. The original, even if I could find it, was on floppy and for early Win machines. Heck, I can't even remember the name.

And, yes, the camera will be the hardware I will have to get. It was hard enough to make it work back when SCSI was a big deal, besides the resolution is a joke compared to stuff today. But back in those early days, there were only three or four choices. Now there are all kinds of cameras and I have barely begun to research them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.