computer security

Reaction score
Hi. Today I downloaded Mackeeper thinking that it was a legit software. I ran a scan, and clicked 'fix' or whatever it comes up with. I then realised the program was dodgy, so uninstalled it following the instructions on their website. I am just wondering whether this program would have done any harm to my computer, and if so would there be a way to reverse it? Also, is there a way for me to make sure it is completely removed from my computer?... I have also been using another program called 'macbooster' and AVG antivirus.. and am wondering whether this is a good idea. It seems like they are good programs, however it is hard to tell. Is anybody able to shed some light? Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

- Nick

Reaction score
They're all pretty much useless. At least AVG wont hurt your computer, maybe just slow it down a little.
If you MUST run an antivirus, we recommend ClamX https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15850/clamxav
OS X is not Windows. You do not need cleaners, or so-called speed up apps. The only one recommended here is Onyx, and only rarely. OS X can keep itself in shape if you let it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi. Today I downloaded Mackeeper thinking that it was a legit software. I ran a scan, and clicked 'fix' or whatever it comes up with. I then realized the program was dodgy, so uninstalled it following the instructions on their website.........

Well, you might have come here first and asked before your download - a pertinent thread HERE concerning the app in question. I hope that the instructions on their website has indeed removed all of the 'residues' from the program? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have found in the past that the ONLY way to get rid of everything Mackeeper, is to either go through your System Files yourself, and delete everything to do with Zeobit/Mackeeper. You just have to know where to look and too many places to start writing them here sorry.

The latest is to use the uninstaller from here, and if that fails, lets hope you had a backup already done and recent, wipe your HD and reinstall the OS you are running.
Really you ask ?? YES, MacKeeper is such a dangerous and terrible piece of code that it deserves and requires and clean slate to get rid of it.

Reason being, is it will continue to run things in the Background, without your knowledge and will eventually slow your Mac until its un-workable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.