making the switch from pc to mac

Reaction score
I am currently a pc user but would like to switch to macpro, need a larger screen so probably a 17"
I am looking at used primarly due to funds, I have noticed some used machines are listed by year make, how do you find that information when looking at the machine? Any recommendations on year makes to stay away from & any other suggestions would be helpful. I'm not a gamer, primary use is online small business. I currently use an iPhone & iPad so am familiar with apple products.
Thanks in advance, Mike

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am currently a pc user but would like to switch to macpro, need a larger screen so probably a 17"
A Mac Pro is a desktop machine but I take it that you're looking for a notebook (what Apple calls the MacBook)?

I am looking at used primarly due to funds, I have noticed some used machines are listed by year make, how do you find that information when looking at the machine?
If you go to the Apple menu () > About This Mac > More Info..., you'll see the year and timing in the resulting window.

Any recommendations on year makes to stay away from & any other suggestions would be helpful. I'm not a gamer, primary use is online small business. I currently use an iPhone & iPad so am familiar with apple products.
Thanks in advance, Mike
There are some MBP models that have had issues (such as those from years back that had bad Nvidia graphics chips) but on the whole, most models are pretty solid. Do a quick search online once you find a MBP you like.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're looking for an older used Macintosh portable computer…technically you're looking for a MacBook Pro. And if you're specifically looking for a 17" MacBook Pro model…the last model Apple released was from "Late-2011". Apple since then has discontinued releasing 17" laptop/notebook computers.

- Nick

pbd

Reaction score
When I first thought about a Mac some years ago I wanted a 17" Macbook because I have had this size in Windows - in fact my current Sony is 17". However, as has been said they are not available now so I ended up purchasing a 15.4" Macbook Pro Retina about three weeks ago (it's been a long wait). TBH it is perfectly alright and I don't notice the difference between the Sony and the Macbook. In fact I find the Macbook easier on the eye because the graphics and text are so clear. I suppose you could also connect up to a monitor if there was a need to do something that required a big screen. Not sure my experience will be of any use to you though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@pbd:

All good points you made especially about attaching a large monitor if needed. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.