Charging Cords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
I'm so tired of getting cords for my iPhone and iPad and they work for several weeks then all of the sudden they are recognized. Even the ones that are "Apple approved" like the one I bought from StackSocial has now stopped working as of today. Why do they stop working? The Apple ones are too expensive to have more than one or two.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why do they stop working?

Because they are not made well. These cords see a lot of bending & twisting in their short lifetimes…and poor build quality & design doesn't help. Plus these things are so thin, light, and spindly…that even if they are built well they still probably wouldn't last long.

They could be built more robustly…but then they would be thick, "heavy", unattractive, and not foldable (stiff) or coil-able…and then folks wouldn't buy them.

Sure…you would probably say you would buy one. Unfortunately…tens of thousands need to be sold. And many "fashion-conscious" folks wouldn't buy a big bulky thick charging cord. So cord manufacturers won't make them.

- Nick

OP
GrannySueSnaps
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
That is a very sad state of affairs! :Angry-Tongue: I guess I can use them to strangle my husband as I try to keep enough of them around in the car, in the house, at the lake, etc. Nothing worse than needing to charge and not having one with you and/or it is one that doesn't work. :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right about the Apple cords - they are expensive. I usually buy my third party cords from Monoprice. Their cords (lightning, USB 3, etc.) are generally well made and seem to last just as long as the Apple cords do. Or, you can take a look at what OWC has in stock, however, their prices are pretty much along the same lines as Apple's are.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very sad state of affairs! :Angry-Tongue: I guess I can use them to strangle my husband as I try to keep enough of them around in the car, in the house, at the lake, etc. Nothing worse than needing to charge and not having one with you and/or it is one that doesn't work. :Smirk:

I wanted to charge my iPad the other day. My wife buys lots of the inexpensive cords when she see's them on sale (usually they are 2, 3, or 4 for a single low price). She figures for the price they are…if they work they work…and if they don't…no biggie.

I had to go thru 3-4 cords before I found one that worked…and I think it was the original Apple cord.;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Try not to pull on the cord to disconnect. That's the biggest cause of failures. Pull on the plug itself and not the cord. Even if the cord doesn't show any detachment, the thin wires inside can be broken by pulling on the cord.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try not to pull on the cord to disconnect. That's the biggest cause of failures. Pull on the plug itself and not the cord. Even if the cord doesn't show any detachment, the thin wires inside can be broken by pulling on the cord.

Great tip!:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Actually, that's an old tip. It applies to ALL cord/plug combinations, including mains, antennas (I'm a ham radio operator) and battery connectors (think 9v). Just don't pull on wires, ever. Pull on the plug, every time!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that's an old tip.

Yes it is.:) It's a great reminder to folks who have heard it before (and maybe forgot)…or a great first time tip to those who haven't heard it before.:)

It's actually a great tip to follow with more durable cords as well.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

In my experience with Lightning cords, I've found that the "cheapy" ones just don't work or if they do they flash a warning on the screen. Now I look for the "made for i" (MFi) licensing logo on cords and -- unsurprisingly -- have had much better luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.