What should I do?

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to give away my macbook to my younger sister and I want to keep all the necessary softwares for her. However, instead of wiping then fresh installing everything, I want to get rid of some private/sensitive parts of the computer. I don't ever browse through anything crazy :Evil: but who knows what may come up while she's doing her homework. I also wanna know how to get rid of all the stored passwords on this computer because the last time that I gave a macbook to another sister, her browser history/cache/bookmarks somehow keep showing up whenever I logged into my Google account :Shouting::Shouting::Shouting:.
Mostly, I do not want to mix up anything in my cloud and especially Google/Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook. Last time I kept everything and only deleted browser history and cache so it logged out of all my accounts. I don't know how her history showed up on mine (I did restore to my new Macbook with Time Machine backup).
So...can anyone tell me what is the best thing to do in this scenario?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Create a new user account for her and give it admin privileges. Then log into that account and delete the old one. All user data will be gone, including saved passwords. This is all assuming you didn't save anything "private/sensitive" deliberately outside your user home folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! I don't really have anything sensitive but being extra careful does no harm :).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't really have anything sensitive but being extra careful does no harm :).

Technically speaking you did mention the word "sensitive" in post #1.;)

Good luck with the transfer.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Another option is to wipe it and install a fresh OS. She'll have everything that comes on new Macs apart from the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband), and she can get those she'd actually use for cheap from the Mac App Store. Guaranteed personal safety!

OP
M
Reaction score
Another option is to wipe it and install a fresh OS. She'll have everything that comes on new Macs apart from the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband), and she can get those she'd actually use for cheap from the Mac App Store. Guaranteed personal safety!
I'm thinking about that too but I already bought Illustrator and PS for her so I don't want her to repurchase or anything. Also, she's pretty technologically challenged lol.
Technically speaking you did mention the word "sensitive" in post #1.;)

Good luck with the transfer.:)

- Nick
You're right! I didn't even realize that haha. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.