• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD takes 27 hours to process/encode/burn!

Reaction score
I used iDVD to burn a disk containing a 780MB movie, and 30 RGB photos totaling about 16.5MB in all for the photos (some as low as 125KB to some as high as 2.9MB). I always get the error message saying 'Error while encoding' and it doesn't get to burn stage. I don't get any problem if its just a movie.

I was successful one time burning my project. The movie was fine but in the slide show, the photos flickered, some discolored, some started in B/W and color came on 2 seconds later, and yet some were without color..
My slide show is activated with 'Fade to black' transition effect for every photo.
My Macintosh HD has at least 2.5TB available.

Does this mean that each photo's transition effects is 'too much' stress on the iMac's CPU and therefore causing the iDVD not to burn properly? I am now trying to burn a DVD with the movie and slideshow but with no transition effects and with a reduced number of photos.

Using iDVD 7.1.2 with a iMac MacOS 10.9.4, 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac has plenty of power to process your movie and photos so I don't think that's the problem. I don't use iDVD so I can't really comment on whether you're doing it correctly or not. However, you might want to try the free open source "Burn" application instead to see if the results are any better. You can download it from here. Make sure you download the 64 bit version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.