Help me make my decision

N

Nadlib

I'm new here, obviously, and was hoping for some help on which Apple product is right for me.

I need to know what seems to be the current best machine to get right now. I do know there are the new Intel powered machines, and I have looked at both the MacBook Pro and the new iMac.

Aside from the portability, either would suit me. But, since I am new to the Apple scene, would those be good choices? What about the G5's? Will they quickly become outdated? I will need a machine that will be able to handle graphic design on a daily basis, and be powerful enough for the next year or so.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am feeling a little swamped with the choices, and can't seem to educate myself fast enough.

Also, if there are any machines coming down the pipe that I may need to wait for, let me know that to.

thanks for the help.
nadlib

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A) There's an Apple Special event Tomorrow, so you may want to wait for that.

B) If you use any Adobe apps, an Intel Mac isn't a good idea right now. Photoshop will run under Rosetta, Apple's app that translates code written to only work on PowerPC chips to work with Intel. However, because it is an emulation software, there is a slowdown. Assuming that you're a professional or a student, you probably don't want to work with Photoshop like that. Adobe won't support Intel chips until 2007, so you're stuck with a PowerPC. I suggest an iMac G5 or a PowerMac G5 if possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.