how to access ipod?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm asking this for a friend of mine, he has 3 identical ipods, on one of them, the screen is cracked but he is only able to see it's internal contents [playlists] on his pc. On the ipod itself when the power button is pressed, one can only see an image of a USB jack and an itunes icon, any ideas please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell him to use iExplorer. With that he should be able to move everything off the iPod on to his Mac and recover it that way. They have a demo he can download to try first.

OP
M
Reaction score
He does not require any backing up of files, what he wants to know is if he can access the files from the ipod itself in any way, is this possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He should be able to do it with iExplorer if the iPod is operable. However, if the screen is cracked, it would make sense to backup everything on the iPod first and then replace the cracked screen. Unless of course if he wishes to use it that way?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, since he has 2 other new ipods he just doesn't want to throw this one out if it can be used without having to replace the screen. So how does this work, he would need to install iexplore on his mac? If yes then I am not understanding how he would be able to view the contents on the ipod itself?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just have him go to the iExplorer web site and read up on what the application can do. If he thinks he can use it for his iPod, then fine, he can purchase it.

What the app basically does is allow him to mount his iPod like a flash drive so that he can have access to the photos, music, and so on. If that's not what he needs, then never mind. I don't believe there is any way to use the iPod the way it is as an iPod without replacing the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.