Imac protools firewire

T

t-head

I have an Imac with firewire 400 (6 pin) ports. Is there a way to get 800 mbps speed to use an external HD using protools/Mbox? I was told that using the 6 pin port I am limited to 400 mbps transfer speed, regardless of the external HD configuration. True?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I am afraid with your settings it is not possible to go beyound 400mbps limit. :(

t-head said:
I have an Imac with firewire 400 (6 pin) ports. Is there a way to get 800 mbps speed to use an external HD using protools/Mbox? I was told that using the 6 pin port I am limited to 400 mbps transfer speed, regardless of the external HD configuration. True?

OP
T

t-head

Ok, thanks for the bad news! Next question: Do you know if my Imac, which does have the removable back panel, can be upgraded with a new firewire 800 port card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
t-head said:
Ok, thanks for the bad news! Next question: Do you know if my Imac, which does have the removable back panel, can be upgraded with a new firewire 800 port card?

I do no believe that the imac can be upgraded to firewire 800 as the firewire ports are on the motherboard (correct me If i am wrong)

OP
T

t-head

No, this Imac does not have a pci slot, so maybe I'm hosed, but I have to believe there's a way somehow. Maybe Apple sells an 800 firewire card that I can install - might be pricey but well worth it for audio applications. Thanks for the input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.