Applications Icon in Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 16gb RAM, 3TB HDD
Yeah, I'm new and have a couple of really dorky questions:
I understand that when I am installing a program, I am supposed to drag the .dmg icon to the "Applications Icon" on the dock...I don't seem to have one...Where is it?
And, some literature I have been reading talks about the "Apple Key" which is supposed to be the Apple logo on a key on the keyboard...I don't have that on the keyboard that I received with my iMac...
Any answers will be appreciated, and please excuse the ignorance of the new user...

Steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Apple Key is also called the Command key. there is one right next and to the left of the Spacebar. On the desktop keyboards usually one on each side of the Spacebar.

The Applications folder is in the Macintosh HD. Double click that (The hard drive icon). The DMG does not go in the applications folder, but the Application inside of the OPEN DMG window, not the DMG itself.

If you want the Applications folder down on the dock you Click and HOLD and drag it to the side of the Dock by the Trashcan and it should stick.

If you still do not understand with DMG's let us know. I can show you some pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No you drag the icon after opening the .dmg file into the Applications Folder itse If you have no Dock go to System preferences > Dock and select a position. If Dock does not appear in System preferences hit the 'Show All' button and drag to the pane.

When the Dock is positioned where you wish, go to the Applucations Folder, found under 'Go', highlight what applictions you would like in the Dock and simply drag them there. The Dock is simply an alias bar, or 'short cut' and not the applications themselves.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may have accidentally deleted the Applications folder under the "Go" item...Arghhh...Can I get it back? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the DMG that is what I said. Once you do it the right way it's easy every other time.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quess I could use those pictures you kindly offered! Thanks...

The Apple Key is also called the Command key. there is one right next and to the left of the Spacebar. On the desktop keyboards usually one on each side of the Spacebar.

The Applications folder is in the Macintosh HD. Double click that (The hard drive icon). The DMG does not go in the applications folder, but the Application inside of the OPEN DMG window, not the DMG itself.

If you want the Applications folder down on the dock you Click and HOLD and drag it to the side of the Dock by the Trashcan and it should stick.

If you still do not understand with DMG's let us know. I can show you some pictures.

Reaction score
When you double-click on a .dmg you might get a window as in pic 1. Just drag the app to that Applications folder.
If not, if there is just the app, drag it to the Applications folder in the sidebar as in pic 2.

Second Life Installer 2014-07-07 18-14-48 2014-07-07 18-14-49.png

Downloads 2014-07-07 18-15-08 2014-07-07 18-15-15.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Craig beat me to the one example but I will show another.

If it's just an installer in the open DMG like say with Flash, you double click on the installer and it will install then after that close and trash the DMG.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 4.18.56 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To summarize, Say you download Firefox.dmg. You then double click on Firefox.DMG and a window will open on your desktop. Firefox has the Firefox app and a Applications folder. Just drag the Firefox app over to the Applications folder right in that open DMG window and it will install. After that Close the DMG windows and trash the DMG.

Never drag the DMG file itself to the Applications.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 4.25.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 4.25.32 PM.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The first thing to do is move your mouse down towards the right side of the dock. If you look closely, you'll see a very faint line that separates the application icons from the folder/stacks and trash icons. Folders can only go to the right of this line, applications can only be dropped on the left side of the line.

Now that you know where this line is, click on the Finder icon. It's the very first icon at the far left of the dock that looks like a blue smiley face. This is your file browser. On the left hand sidebar you should see the Applications folder. Drag it down to the dock, remembering to aim it at the right side of the line. Bring it all the way down and any other icons should move out of the way to let you drop the Applications folder.

A DMG file is a disk image, meaning it will replicate the behavior of an external drive. That's why you'll see it on your desktop looking like a device drive. The DMG file is just a temporary package that carries the application you want. Double click on the DMG file and you'll either see the application inside or an installer. If there's an installer, double click it and follow the installation instructions. If it's just an application icon, drag it into the Applications folder (either in the Dock or in the Finder) BEFORE opening it. Sometimes it provides you with a shortcut to the Applications folder as well.

Once it's in the Applications folder, you can open it from there. Then eject the DMG by dragging it to the trash, which should now be an Eject icon.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Applications Folder in Finder

Thanks for all of the detailed replies...When I go to "Finder", I do not have an "Applications Folder" in the sidebar...Just a category called "Favorites" that contains several categories, but not the applications folder...Can I somehow retrieve it? Thanks for all of your assistance and patience...

Steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the bar up top with the Apple and be Finder is showing there. Click on Finder and on Preferences then on SideBar. Be sure Applications is checked.

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 4.42.08 PM.png

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it!!!...Many thanks...Got a lot to learn!

Steve

M

MacInWin

Let me summarize it for you. Sometimes the .dmg has in it an icon for the app and an icon looking like a folder named "Applications." All you need to do is drag the app icon and drop it on the Applications folder icon, as dtravis7 shows in #9 above. Sometimes all the .dmg has is an icon for the application itself, no Applications folder icon, so you have to drag the application icon to the Applications folder in Finder, like cradom pointed out in #7. Sometimes you get an application in the .dmg that is an installer program and you just run it like dtravis7 shows in #8. And finally, sometimes you get an icon that looks like an open cardboard box, not the application itself. That is the default icon of an installer file, which you run directly from the .dmg like dtravis7 showed in #8.

It does get simpler as you gain experience with each one. Hang in there!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all of you for the great assistance...Just installed my first program and it works! I am sure I will be back to try your patience some more!

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great stuff LTCSZ!!

The sense of enjoyment from learning something new eh!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.