Interesting query about storage

Reaction score
Hey, I recently acquired my Mountain Lion Installer for use on a bootable drive

The size of the bootable drive is 4.43GB, but the installer is only 21.7MB?

I'v attached an image here, to further show my point:

imgur: the simple image sharer

HOWEVER, on my Mavericks bootable drive, the installer is much larger in size, relative to the size of the bootable drive total size, see here:

imgur: the simple image sharer

Is this normal? I'm a bit confused haha.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The size of the bootable drive is 4.43GB, but the installer is only 21.7MB?

Is this normal? I'm a bit confused haha.

Somethings not right. I still have my original Mountain Lion installer on my computer (I haven't made a bootable USB stick from it yet). And when I do a "get info" on it...it reports that it is 4.37 gigabytes.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Somethings not right. I still have my original Mountain Lion installer on my computer (I haven't made a bootable USB stick from it yet). And when I do a "get info" on it...it reports that it is 4.37 gigabytes.

- Nick

okay, would you recommend i just copy the .dmg file onto my usb ?

I'm currently using a programme called DiskMaker X, which a lot of people seem to recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The Installer is not that big, merely a program to run the actual installation. And the 4.3GB program wille xpand to around 8-10GB without any applications. Using LionDiscMaker is the shot.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey Guys, just an update here.

I rang up Apple and they explained a process called the "OS X Internet Recovery Mode" which I didn't know existed.

This is done by holding CMD + ALT + R on startup.

Basically it allows you to install the OS that your mac shipped with - without a bootable usb :)

OS X Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks only.

Hopefully i wont even need to do this - I might not have any problems with Mavericks on my system, WHO KNOWS! haha.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That method (Internet Recovery) works great if your hard drive hasn't crashed. I suspect it's not going to work from a newly installed bare drive since you'll have no way to access the internet without at least a Recovery partition.

The best and surest method of recovery is to have a bootable clone of your hard drive on an external drive that you can boot from.

M

MacInWin

And Internet Recovery requires you to download 5 gb of data, which may be inconvenient if you don't have swift connections. What chscag said, plus the download demand, is my reason for having a bootable installer on a usb stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.