How To Use dmg files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 16gb RAM, 3TB HDD
I am a brand new iMac user (1 day)...I have several programs that I would like to install that have a .dmg suffix...Not to be a pest, but could someone provide me with an idiot-proof explanation of how to install these programs? I will look forward to lots of participation on this Forum! Thanks,

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums!

Sometimes double clicking on the dmg file will open it showing installation instructions to follow. That type of program has a built in installer and it should be used.

Other dmg files may just open when double clicked and will show the actual program and perhaps also include a text file with instructions. In that case, the program file can be dragged to your Applications folder and dropped there.

Read thru this overview on how to install programs on your new Mac: MacRumors Guides

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just double click the .dmg file. It will put a corresponding icon on the Desktop and open a window. In the window you will usually get the option to either double click on an Installer, which will install the software, or to drag the Application's icon to your Applications folder. In the second option there will usually be an icon of the Applications folder in the window.. Just drag and drop onto it.

After you have finished, drag the icon that appeared on the Desktop to the Trash. You will still have the .dmg file and you can Trash that as well if you wish.

M

MacInWin

Just so you know, .dmg is a disc image file, much like a windows .iso, if you are familiar with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After double clicking the .dmg file, it opens and drag the icon of the application etc to the Applications Folder. This is found under 'Go' in the Menu bar, moving down to Applications. The operating system will then install it at the correct place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's really not that complicated. Think of the dmg file as virtual thumb drive that's used to deliver the application to you from the internet. It's just packaging that contains the application and maybe an installer and some instructions.

As mentioned above, double clicking the dmg "package" will "unbox" the app for you and start the installation process (of which there are a couple of simple variations). Just follow the instructions to install, then "eject" the dmg by dragging it to the trash, which temporarily becomes an Eject icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.