non-standard characters

Reaction score
Where do I go in order to find out the key sequences for characters not on the keyboard e.g. my keyboard doesn't have the pound sign and I don't want to have to go to the "Show Character Viewer" every time I need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
£ comes up with Option 3 for those of us with Mac keyboards and no Alt key!

C

chas_m

The standard (short) wireless Mac keyboard that comes with iMacs has both the words "option" and the word "alt" printed on the key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
The standard (short) wireless Mac keyboard that comes with iMacs has both the words "option" and the word "alt" printed on the key.

One of the reasons I love the US keyboard, and will try to avoid the UK one, if I can (both my MBP17 and MBA11 are US models), is those silly hieroglyphs, instead of a simple [option] or [control] (and the squashed to "lets see, if you can hit me" size [enter] key)

Apart from £ key which is easily reached, as suggested above, there are no advantages in having Mac UK keyboard: one of the main differences - ability to get @ without [shift] on the traditional UK layout, is not present on Mac UK keyboard. Also the large, inverted L-shaped enter key, was trimmed to ⅓ of its width, as I mentioned already... :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

And the wired version (long keyboard with numeric keypad) of the Apple keyboard likewise has the same thing printed on the key.

Reaction score
If it's an American keyboard it would be shift-3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
If it's an American keyboard it would be shift-3.

I think we can safely exclude both the US and the UK keyboards: the # is on US keyboard, so the question wouldn't have risen, and it's called "hash sign" in the UK, hard to imagine someone calling it a "pound sign" over here ;)

To the OP - please tell us what keyboard layout you're using, we'll be able to come up with appropriate shortcuts for your desired characters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:[ Ha-ha-ha ... assumption is the ... well, you know the rest LOL

Left [option] 3 is the answer then ... as in left ⌥ and [3]

Again, apologies for jumping to wrong conclusion

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
I think we can safely exclude both the US and the UK keyboards: the # is on US keyboard, so the question wouldn't have risen, and it's called "hash sign" in the UK, hard to imagine someone calling it a "pound sign" over here ;)

To the OP - please tell us what keyboard layout you're using, we'll be able to come up with appropriate shortcuts for your desired characters.

You mean there are categories of keyboard layout as well as categories of keyboard?? More and more complicated. All I know is that it's a UK keyboard and no # to be seen anywhere.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hm that simple? I didn't see that on any of the lists I waded through. Thanks much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can look at all three basic levels of characters (well, technically four, but all shift ones are actually on the keys anyway), if you click on [country flag] in menu, and then go to "Show Keyboard Viewer". You can then press [option] ( ⌥ on UK keyboard) and see the characters change. Next level can be reached by pressing [option] and [shift] together (⌥ and ⇧ on UK keyboard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hm that simple? I didn't see that on any of the lists I waded through. Thanks much.

Not at all, glad I could help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.