How much is enough?

Reaction score
Hi, Newbie here. Thinking of switching from windows to a MacBook Pro. Main use is editing photos in LR and PS. I dabble a little bit in video editing but nothing serious.

What spec/configuration of ram and processor do you recommend from current range as It is very tempting to over-spec and I am not familiar with the power of MacBook compared to windows based equivalent.

Appreciate your advice and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do some Googling on your requirements, but for intensive graphics and video work, the general consensus is to have as much RAM as you can afford, followed by with large OR faster storage.

Your wallet may be a governing factor regardless. :$

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. Google results are a bit out dated back to 2011 - even on this forum.

Google results should be MUCH more broad than just Mac-Forums.

As far as your computer purchase…it really isn't as complex as you may think. If you are thinking of getting a MacBook Pro…there really aren't that many different models.

First thing you need to do is decide…13" or 15" display. Just making this decision cuts the choices (four 13" models, two 15" models).

Second…then decide how much ram & storage you need.

Third…if you have budget constraints…then that will factor in on what is possible.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, get the best you can afford, and in your case with a particular emphasis on graphics power and RAM. Storage is less important because I assume you'll be keeping your large photo libraries mostly on external drives.

You don't *need* a Retina display, but given the two programs you mentioned its a very nice extra if you can swing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.