Mac copies files to external hdd twice?

Reaction score
Hey,
Has anyone ever come across a problem like this?.. say if i copy a video file onto my external hdd and plug it into my tv to watch it, it appears twice on the hdd but one of them appears like a broken link and the other is fine... any ideas?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How are you copying the files to the external From the Finder or some other program? Also, just out of curiosity:

1. How is the external drive formatted (Mac OS X Extended, NTFS, etc.)? You can find out by right-clicking the drive and choosing Get Info.
2. Does the "broken" file have an _ or . at the beginning of the filename?

OP
B
Reaction score
How are you copying the files to the external From the Finder or some other program? Also, just out of curiosity:

1. How is the external drive formatted (Mac OS X Extended, NTFS, etc.)? You can find out by right-clicking the drive and choosing Get Info.
2. Does the "broken" file have an _ or . at the beginning of the filename?

Files are being copied from my downloads alias that i have placed on my desktop.

My external drive is fat32 as i will need to transfer files from both mac and windows

now that you mention the _ and . strangely enough the broken file has _. at the beginning of the filename.

Thanks

Reaction score
That's called appledouble. It's how older systems used resources and still carries over for some files.
You cant see them but windows (and TV's and Mpeg players) can. Not worth the trouble trying to get rid of them. Just play the ones without the _.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's called appledouble. It's how older systems used resources and still carries over for some files.
You cant see them but windows (and TV's and Mpeg players) can. Not worth the trouble trying to get rid of them. Just play the ones without the _.

it's pretty annoying though since this drive could have 100's of video files on it so it will just create a mess

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@cradom and chasm thanks for filling in the details and providing some fixes. I got called away for a bit in the midst of looking for a good explanation of what happens.

@OP if using Terminal gives thou the hives as it does me there is some GUI software out there that supposedly deletes these files and prevents Finder from creating some of them in the future. I have not personally used them but might be able to dig up a name or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.