A Mailwasher substitute please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi all I have been using my first ever Apple Lap Top for about 3 years now.
But I still miss the Anti Spam features of MAILWASHER

Can anybody recommend an alternative to Mailwasher that works on an Apple ?

preferably for both iPhone and MBP

tim

WLH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 " iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Mem 1TB HD - 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB
I've been using SpanSieve for over 2 years and am very pleased with it...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I've been using SpamSieve for over 2 years and am very pleased with it...

Thank you very much WLH that looks to be just right :) I am going to get that straightaway :)

To be honest I cannot understand why MAIL has a JUNK folder, into which MAIL designated as JUNK gets sent, but nothing happens to it, it doesnt seem to make any difference whether MAIL is JUNK OR TRASH all that happens it only gets deleted ANYWAY ?

Tim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I kind of agree. The Mac Mail Junk folder is quite useless as far as I'm concerned. My ISP which is gmail has excellent spam filtering and I rarely get junk mail downloaded to my mail folder. Proper spam filtering should be done at the ISP level and one should not have to use "Mail Washer" or any other software to do what the ISP should be doing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I kind of agree. The Mac Mail Junk folder is quite useless as far as I'm concerned. My ISP which is gmail has excellent spam filtering and I rarely get junk mail downloaded to my mail folder. Proper spam filtering should be done at the ISP level and one should not have to use "Mail Washer" or any other software to do what the ISP should be doing.

Thanks "chscag" for that info buddy, I have a couple of Gmail accounts, which are currently redirected to my domain name main account, maybe I should use the Gmail facilities instead, because I believe it is the Gmail accounts where the SPAM is coming from, thanks, you might have saved me a few quid/dollars :)

Tim

C

chas_m

The reason for the Junk folder (if you're interested) is because sometimes you actually *sign up* for a mass mailing list (like I just did for the band They Might Be Giants), or a mass email from a friend (for something like a birthday party) who doesn't normally mass-email, or a dozen other exceptions that look to a computer like junk mail but are in fact something you want. Apple's junk mail filter (with a little training from you) is actually pretty remarkable in its ability to put junk mail in it place (which then periodically gets deleted).

The problem is that most people don't "train" the filter, or don't do it for long enough (about a week is good), then complain its not accurate or doesn't do anything. It actually works great if you set it up and use it as directed.

(I do agree that ISPs should do more to handle spam on their end, however, but have always found it ironic that Google -- the company that scans your email and uses the results to spam you on the web and sells your info to other advertisers -- has itself a very strong provider-level spam filter. Little bit of a common kitchen cooking component calling a water-boiling device a racial slur, seems to me ...)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
The reason for the Junk folder (if you're interested) is because sometimes you actually *sign up* for a mass mailing list (like I just did for the band They Might Be Giants), or a mass email from a friend (for something like a birthday party) who doesn't normally mass-email, or a dozen other exceptions that look to a computer like junk mail but are in fact something you want. Apple's junk mail filter (with a little training from you) is actually pretty remarkable in its ability to put junk mail in it place (which then periodically gets deleted).

The problem is that most people don't "train" the filter, or don't do it for long enough (about a week is good), then complain its not accurate or doesn't do anything. It actually works great if you set it up and use it as directed.

(I do agree that ISPs should do more to handle spam on their end, however, but have always found it ironic that Google -- the company that scans your email and uses the results to spam you on the web and sells your info to other advertisers -- has itself a very strong provider-level spam filter. Little bit of a common kitchen cooking component calling a water-boiling device a racial slur, seems to me ...)

Thank you "chasm" thanks for that info, I never knew any of that !!!! very interesting.

Tim

Reaction score
Hi all I have been using my first ever Apple Lap Top for about 3 years now.
But I still miss the Anti Spam features of MAILWASHER

Can anybody recommend an alternative to Mailwasher that works on an Apple ?

preferably for both iPhone and MBP

tim
Another vote for SpamSieve. Only provision is that sometimes it marks messages as spam but puts them in the inbox. Usually happens when I change ISP's as I do about every week when I go back and forth to my job (with my MBP laptop).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.