Need help with iCloud login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
I just reinstalled Mavericks on my late 2009 iMac. When I tried to log in to iCloud it gave me a can not find keychain message and was unable to log in. What does this mean?

C

chas_m

Perhaps you should start with why you "reinstalled Mavericks."

If the keychain can't be found, it was either erased or corrupted by whatever it is you did. What happens when you open the keychain access program in Utilities?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
I was trying to erase my brothers old info from the machine. I thought re installing the OS would do that, obviously I was wrong. I re installed using the recovery option.
Checked keychain in utilities and found out the login keychain was deleted.

C

chas_m

Reinstalling the OS won't erase your brother's info. You'll want to do an erase and reinstall from the recovery partition, which will erase everything on the hard drive (so be sure to backup/protect the stuff you don't want to be gone forever!).

Keychain will create a new "login" keychain once you've wiped and reinstalled, setting up a new user.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your guidance. I will do that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I erase the hard drive or can I just reload mavericks from a USB drive. If I load from the USB drive will it erase the hard drive?. For what it's worth there is nothing I need to keep on it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This will erase everything on the drive.

If you've got the installer on a USB drive even better and faster.

Once you start up the installer, head for Disk Utility - highlight the drive on the left - then head for the Partition tab.
In the drop down where it says something like 'Current Partitions', change it to 1 Partition.
Make sure it is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - that should be the default.
You can name the partition if you would like to use something other than Macintosh HD.
Then hit start or OK - I forget what the exact thing is at the bottom and don't have a Mac handy.

Then you can exit out of it and start a clean install of OS X.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, I just want to start fresh and install what I need from my iTunes purchases.
Thanks for your help, will check in later with the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.