iMac getting slow

Reaction score
Greetings - I'm Jerrie from Oregon. I switched to an iMac in 2009 shortly before retiring after 21 years of PC support for a large utility, Sometimes I miss the simplicity of DOS. After 5 years on my iMac I'm having trouble figuring out how to resolve a noticeable decrease in response time. Perhaps it's just tired, but probably the hard drive is cluttered up. Any sage advice from the experts would be appreciated, or just point me to a current thread. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved post to it's own thread.

1st question...
What size is the drive - how much used space and how much free space?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Greetings - I'm Jerrie from Oregon.

Hello & welcome…Jerrie from Oregon!:)

I switched to an iMac in 2009 shortly before retiring after 21 years of PC support for a large utility, Sometimes I miss the simplicity of DOS. After 5 years on my iMac I'm having trouble figuring out how to resolve a noticeable decrease in response time.

What Mac OS version was on the computer when you purchased it 5 years ago…and what OS version is on it now?

How much ram does it have?

- Nick

M

MacInWin

And what have you installed to "help" the OS? Any Antivirus? MacKeeper or some similar package?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

C

chas_m

Don't take MacInWin's post above as ANY KIND of a suggestion ... he's trying to find out if you've installed any known BADWARE.

At five years, it's probably your drive starting to fail, or too full (or both).

M

MacInWin

That's why the "help" was in quotes. That crapware that claims to help OSX pretty much gums it up, as you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Greetings - I'm Jerrie from Oregon. I switched to an iMac in 2009 shortly before retiring after 21 years of PC support for a large utility, Sometimes I miss the simplicity of DOS.

What?! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.