Use of external Drive

Reaction score
I have a 250 GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro drive that I want to use exclusively to store and play a large amount of music files as a standalone system. I am looking for the simplest and cheapest way to do this. Mac laptops are too expensive for this purpose. One option is a simple PC with MacDrive. Any suggestions? I have installed Mavericks on this drive if that should be of any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you telling us you have installed Mavericks on your PC?

OP
B
Reaction score
I was not very clear. The simple description is that I have the OWC drive formatted for Mac on which I want to store music files. I want a simple method to connect this to some playback system (stereo or whatever) without buying an expensive laptop.

The Mavericks installation is on the OWC drive, not on a PC.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Still not clear. You have music files on a drive. You want to attach them to a low-cost machine (like a cheap PC) for playback. So far, that's all fine.

The drive you have the music files on is formatted for Mac, as I understand it. If you have access to a Mac, you can move the files to a PC-formatted drive relatively easily. If not, then yes, you'll need a program that can read Mac-formatted drives so you can copy the music files over, erase the drive and format it for PC, then move the music files back.

I think what you're really looking for here is a NAS drive, so that your music library is available to whatever device you might want to send the music to -- HDTV, audio system, PC, whatever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The Mavericks installation is on the OWC drive, not on a PC.

Just wanted to mention. Unless this external OWC drive needs to be bootable…you don't need an OS installed on it (Mavericks).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your time and comments. I've decided to simply get a wireless digital music system and work through AirPlay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.