• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

version 10 of iMovie and chapters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I recently updated to Mavericks and, with that update, I also got version 10 of iMovie.

I had been using iMovie on Mountain Lion and had figured out how to do what I wanted to do. In particular I had figured out how to create chapter markers that would allow me to skip forward to each chapter when viewing a slide show. All of that seems to be lost on Mavericks.

When I create markers now they do not seem to create chapters and I am unable to skip forward or back as before. When I load the mp4 file into Handbreak it tells me I only have one chapter even though I have been adding markers when creating the slide show. And I can no longer create .mov files (on Mountain Lion I produced .mov files with chapters, loaded them into Handbreak and created output mkv files which I would load onto a memory stick and play on my blu-ray players. This preserved chapters. No other process worked for me).

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to create chapters in version 10 of iMovie? And, if so, how????

Thanks for any help. Short of that, if someone could recommend any good slide show software that would allow me to create .mov or .mp4 or .mkv files with chapters, I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can't create Chapter Markers with iMovie10. However, you should still have your previous version of iMovie, unless you did a clean install of Mavericks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't create Chapter Markers with iMovie10. However, you should still have your previous version of iMovie, unless you did a clean install of Mavericks.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I am used to subsequent releases adding to functionality, not removing it, so I was surprised.

I did an upgrade to Mavericks but I just assumed (that will teach me!) that the new version of iMovie replaced the old version rather than just sat along side it. After reading your post I checked and, sure enough, there was version 9.

Thanks for the information. The advantage of version 9 for me (assuming it works with Mavericks) is not just that it has the functionality I need but also that I already know how to use it.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
subsequent releases adding to functionality, not removing it
Yeah, it's not the first time that Apple have done this. They did the sam when they went from iMovie6HD to iMovie08.

I'm staying with v9 for it's Chapter Markers and the ability to Share with iDVD.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's not the first time that Apple have done this. They did the sam when they went from iMovie6HD to iMovie08.

I'm staying with v9 for it's Chapter Markers and the ability to Share with iDVD.

I guess it means that I will have to be careful about updating to a new OS since iMovie 9 may not be compatible with anything past Mavericks.

Seems silly that Apple would be so careless about their customers. I don't have iDVD because it had been removed by the time I bought my MBP. I wonder what else I risk losing when I upgrade.

And thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
since iMovie 9 may not be compatible with anything past Mavericks.
Probably unlikely, as iDVD is still works under Mavericks and that disappeared from Macs a while back, and iMovie6HD still works as well and that's been gone for years.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably unlikely, as iDVD is still works under Mavericks and that disappeared from Macs a while back, and iMovie6HD still works as well and that's been gone for years.

Thanks. One can hope ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.