• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 11 - AVCHD & Exporting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

Hope someone can help with a couple of questions?

I have had trouble importing AVCHD files with FCE4, so I have reluctantly reverted to iMovie in order to edit my video. I recently filmed a wedding, and have been able to import the AVCHD footage into iMovie and edit it. The issue I have now, is that I would like to export the project and create a DVD. Anyone have any idea of what the best settings would be for this. I tried to do this using the most obvious settings, but it ended up with an export time of over 5 hours! This is for a 39min film…what am I doing wrong?

I would also like to make an AVCHD dvd as well, if possible. Does anyone have any advice on doing this?

Many thanks

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do have iDVD, but have had results that are fairly poor using it in the past. I don't know if it's the encoding which is a fault or something I am doing.

With regards to burning an AVCHD disc, you only need a DVD burner and a standard DVD disc on which you can burn upto 40 minutes of HD footage for playback in a Blu-Ray player that will also play AVCHD discs. I'm wondering how to do this from iMovie? The footage going in is AVCHD (1080/50i), so when edited, I am wanting to export it as the same.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In that case, use iMovie's Share to File option, choosing the appropriate video size, and then use a dvd authoring program to produce your dvd. However, AVCHD DVD is a new one on me, so can't offer any advice on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.