mac responsiveness and battey life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
here lately it seems like my MacBook Pro has been running a little slow
ive cleared the recent list, and all of my browser histories
it just still seems to be a bit sluggish
and when i put it to sleep the battery seems to drain really quickly
and i turn the wifi off before it sleep it
it just didnt do any of this before
i will attach a screen shot for the specs
could it be the 16GB of RAM?
do i need a new battery?

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 9.17.34 AM.png

C

chas_m

Thanks for the spec shot, it's helpful.

No, it's nothing to do with the RAM.

Have you run any system maintenance? Like the highly-recommended-around-here OnyX?

I can think of no reason why the battery would drain while the unit was asleep unless you have a process running in the background of some kind, or the machine is waking up on network access (this can be turned off in Energy settings).

One suggestion I'd offer is to (rather than turning the Wi-Fi off, which is pointless) make sure that every application you had open has been QUIT (not just CLOSED) before putting the unit to sleep. See if that makes a difference in the battery drain?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
i dont have internet at home, and i unplug my wifi router when im done with it
and i always Command Q every program
(which has gotten me into trouble more then once)
ill try OnyX and i have it DL'd right now

sometimes i have iTunes open, some times i have nothing open
so it doesnt make any sense

also ive noted that sometimes it takes a long time to go to sleep
sometimes it is faster to shut it down instead of just shutting the lid

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need the Internet to set up a LAN. My router handles the direction of the network traffic, I had it collecting dust. So I put it to good use

C

chas_m

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. An atypical setup, but perfectly valid.

When a machine is slow going to sleep, that is usually a sign of some running app or network process still going on that takes some time to cease. I wonder if Spotlight is indexing your other networked drives?

Any news to report from the OnyX cleanup?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sends to be quicker after running. Closing the lid seems to still take a long time to sleep. So I just sleep it before closing the lid. Thanks for the suggestion

M

MacInWin

I have noticed that when I have all my external drives attached (six of them) that when I do a shutdown it takes a while for OSX to unmount all those drives. So now I unmount them myself, then shutdown/sleep is very quick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.