Macbook Pro fan running

Reaction score
Why does my MacBook Pro fan run whenever I play a game, go to a web site, just because?

M

MacInWin

The fan is variable, depending on the heat of the MBP. Playing games, flash video (web sties) etc, cause the load on the CPU and/or graphics processor to increase, which generates heat, which triggers the fans to speed up. Just make sure the vents are not blocked and the MBP will manage that heat quite nicely for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3
Being a newbie to this world of Macs i too was initially concerned about the fan kicking in so much but i have to say the machine controls the heat very intelligently . My Dell laptop and the HP previous to that both became so hot under load that i wasn't able to work directly on my lap . Ive had no such problems with this machine

C

chas_m

As mentioned above: see what you can do to reduce your use of Flash, that will make a HUGE difference in both performance and the need for strong fan activity. You've run headlong into the exact reason Apple never allowed Flash on its mobile devices, and the reason why Adobe eventually conceded with withdrew mobile Flash from the market.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Why does my MacBook Pro fan run whenever I play a game, go to a web site, just because?

Because the higher the percentage of your CPU and GPU power you use the hotter they get and the faster the fan(s) need to rotate to keep them cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.