Questions for all the Switchers....

W

Wintermute

I REALLY want to buy my 1st MAC (Macbook Pro) but I have some questions before I can commit fully to one though.

I was under the impression that I could use Rosetta to run windows applications but as I read further I think I may be mistaken. If I am not able to run 32 bit executables natively, is there a way for me to do utilizing some aftermarket software? I have Cisco Router simulations and Network simulations that are Windows apps and the whole reason I want a laptop in the first place is so I can study and test my knowlege on these simulations while traveling. I'm also a bit of a gamer, not an avid gamer but I do occasionally enjoy blowing stuff up, and work with video/audio encoding. In reality the most important thing to me is the ability to run my simulators. Thanks for any information you can provide

Mute

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I would consider not switching. Sometimes it just isn't feasible for one reason or another. I would become a Dual-user. This is what I have done and it serves me well. There are just some things that a Mac can't do, and you have to have a PC for those things. Just remember, you don't have to be a switcher, just a user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
techster82 said:
I would consider not switching. Sometimes it just isn't feasible for one reason or another. I would become a Dual-user. This is what I have done and it serves me well. There are just some things that a Mac can't do, and you have to have a PC for those things. Just remember, you don't have to be a switcher, just a user.

Good point. Also, before spendng such a great deal of money on a computer, you may want to try out a less expensive Mac, such as a mini.

OP
J

jessica

techster82 has a good point. Especially if you're in need to run some cisco router sims. The Mac as far as I know just isn't going to suit your needs. Unfortunately most of the world is still on windows and if you're involved in the IT industry then it is cruical to have a PC around. Besides, windows isn't all that bad, it's just not a mac. :)

OP
B

bfx

Second the dual user concept.

Many advantages.

Only disadvantage I see is if you plan on selling your Windows stuff in order to finance the Mac stuff.

In that case I would say to just simply wait if at all possible.

But being a dual user is the way to go at the present time.

bfx

OP
W

Wintermute

Thanks for the list but it only brings another question to the fore... specifically, are there versions of any of the three listed that are compatible with OS X on the Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
bfx said:
Second the dual user concept.

Many advantages.

Only disadvantage I see is if you plan on selling your Windows stuff in order to finance the Mac stuff.

In that case I would say to just simply wait if at all possible.

But being a dual user is the way to go at the present time.

bfx

Heh, I'll third the dual user idea. At least until I can afford to replace my laptop with a top-end MacBook Pro, Adobe CS, all my 2D/3D apps, and other software. I have thousands of dollars invested into my Windows system, not just the hardware but the software. Probably more in the software than anything. I figure I'll spend the next year learning OS X on my wife's new iMac and slowly start merging over. I'd love to do a complete switch, but I don't think it's ever really going to happen (unless Vista can dual-boot on the MacBook Pro and is compatible with XP software!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
My first Mac was a Mini I bought off the forums a few months ago. It was a well loaded little guy, and while giving me the introduction to OS X that I was looking for, I just didn't use it when it was sitting next to my PC. I ended up selling it after a month and bought a very nice used iBook. My reasoning is that I am more apt to sit in the living room while I am watching ESPN and use my laptop. If my laptop happens to be a Mac, then it will allow me to explore OS X like I had planned. This setup has worked well. I have my PC upstairs and take my Laptop with me whenever I head to school or on a trip. I love having access to both platforms and their are no drawbacks. I would suggest skipping over the mini idea, although it is a good one. Look at the refurbished powerbooks, or ibooks and maybe wait on the macbook idea. I am ready to go to a macbook now but don't really need to, and know I will kick myself as soon as I buy one and they come out with other options. I will wait till this summer and see the entire product line Apple will now offer before upgrading. Seems like you may be in the same boat so that is my $0.02. Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong as long as you keep both.

OP
W

Wintermute

Yeah, Dual User would be optimal I just really really wanted a MAC but I need a laptop. I keep scouring the net looking for a light at the end of the tunnel in regards to getting Windows to run on a Macbook Pro but so far it's been slow going. Ah well, que sera, sera an all that jazz. I guess it'll be a Sony Vaio SZ160 for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.