About to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
After near 2 weeks of debating on whether or not to build a custom PC or buy a 17 inch intel iMac, I think I've decided on the iMac.
The custom pc wouldve been:
AMD 3500+ Processor
1 gig of pc3200 Ram
250 gig Harddrive
Geforce 6600GT video card
16x dvd burner
19 inch 8 ms flat screen LCD.

I played on the iMacs and was completely weirded out by the OS, but I think I'll get used to it eventually. Im kind of scared about compatibilty issues. Ive already decided that I will be able to play Call of Duty 2 on it to fuel my gaming desire, and get either Final Cut or Adobe Premier [which I have for windows along with After Effects] when the universal versions are released to edit video.

One question I do have...Ive heard the new intel imacs are having problems with microsoft mice, can anyone shed some light on this? Also, any general comments would be appreciated.

EDIT: another question - would an hpdeskjet 940 c printer work with the iMac?

And Id also like to share I am going to add a 1 gig stick of ram to it and hopefully will have a new iPod video as well as the iMac after this weekend.

Thanks.

P.S. this is way off base, but I was also considering purchasing the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 noise cancelling heapdhones, anyone have experience with these?

K

Kokopelli

Well I am not sure how much use my advice will be but... Unless Call of Duty 2 is a universal binary I would not hope too much for performance. (It does not even seem to be released yet, but I did not look overly hard.)

I do not believe Final Cut or Adobe Premier have intel native binaries yet.

The 940c does not seem to have drivers built into Tiger though there is a download on HPs site.

Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones do the job of noise reduction pretty well, though I am not particularly fond of the sound. If you are looking for high end sound Bose is not the manufacturer I would reccomend. For normal listening though they are just fine.

Sorry I can't give you more definite answers.

EDIT: I have not heard of any problems w/ microsoft mice and can't think of a reason why the Intel Macs would have problems with them. I do not know anyone who owns one yet though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not heard of anyone having problems with Microsoft, Logitech or other Mice on the Intel iMacs.

Not sure on the HP 940 but it should work. There is a driver for it on HPs site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Im sure that COD will be universal binary, Im sure it will run fine. I havent had any problems using various USB mice with my Mac. Your iMac will come with a pretty darn nice mighty mouse. I would order that machine with a one gig stick in one dimm, and add another yourself later. The machine will run very fast. iPod videos are very nice as well. You will also get very used to the OS, dont worry its quite intuitive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
How can I tell if Call of Duty 1, Knights of the old republic, or Medal of Honor Allied Assault is universal binary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
They are not, unless they have been patched. Im going to be honest my friend, I am happy you are looking to get a Mac, yet if you are particularly interested in playing games, it is not the best way to go. I find myself tempted sometimes to go back to the PC world to play games like Half Life 2 or Age of Empires III, yet I fight the urge because I know I will get bored with those games as I do with all. You should be able to emulate the above titles you mentioned under Rosetta on your intel Mac, they will run fine. You can still get a 20" G5 iMac on Apple's site. It will run everything we have been talking about, including Adobe and Final Cut in your original post.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Greenredfield said:
They are not, unless they have been patched. Im going to be honest my friend, I am happy you are looking to get a Mac, yet if you are particularly interested in playing games, it is not the best way to go. I find myself tempted sometimes to go back to the PC world to play games like Half Life 2 or Age of Empires III, yet I fight the urge because I know I will get bored with those games as I do with all. You should be able to emulate the above titles you mentioned under Rosetta on your intel Mac, they will run fine. You can still get a 20" G5 iMac on Apple's site. It will run everything we have been talking about, including Adobe and Final Cut in your original post.

well, the intel iMac is supposedly faster than the g5, so when the universal programs [final cut most importantly] come out the intels will be better than the g5s. I dont mind waiting for them. What I want to know now is how well a non universal game will run with rosetta? Im not super interested in playing games, but if a game is out for mac Id like to play it. The iMac is mostly for general purposes, a little gaming, and some video editing.
Thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
The older titles should run OK being emulated, the titles you listed should be fine. I am no expert, I am just stating facts and things I have heard. COD2 is awesome and it will be universal. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
The funny thing is that, that PC config is very close to my config. It's okay for a PC but it was be dead for games in 12 months (That's all I give mine), so good work on choosing the iMac, will last you much longer.

Personally I think that apps like Final Cut will be universal within 6 months, it looks as thought they are waiting for the litel bugs to be ironed out of the system before jumping.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Jabjabs said:
The funny thing is that, that PC config is very close to my config. It's okay for a PC but it was be dead for games in 12 months (That's all I give mine), so good work on choosing the iMac, will last you much longer.

Personally I think that apps like Final Cut will be universal within 6 months, it looks as thought they are waiting for the litel bugs to be ironed out of the system before jumping.

I heard final cut is coming out march 31st.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.