Photo Help... I got stuff everywhere....

Reaction score
I take and store TONS of photos. I bought a MacBook Pro with a 125 gig SSD. I use photoshop and lightroom... and iPhoto. I want to use lightroom as my default for importing and editing and exporting etc. I have a 1t network attached hard drive... I figured I could use that to store my photos on and point programs to that have to access and store all my photos. Is this possible?

I have also just had a message pop up saying my startup disk is full. How can I manage all my files... as they seem to be everywhere... to my network drive?

Be gentle... I am new to Mac.

Thanks,

Derek

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which MacBook Pro do you have? The best solution is to replace the small SSD with a large one. Depending on which MBP you have that may or may not be easy to do. Trying to manage everything from a network drive is possible but slow.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have also just had a message pop up saying my startup disk is full. How can I manage all my files... as they seem to be everywhere... to my network drive?

Be gentle... I am new to Mac.

To be honest...this has nothing to do with the computer being a Mac...it's more about having an organization/storage strategy.:)

As chscag mentioned...installing a larger SSD would help (if it is possible with this computer). Some Apple laptops are harder to do upgrades on. But a larger SSD will be expensive...and even if you installed a 500gig SSD...it sounds like you will eventually run out of space on it as well (if you point & click...point & click...point & click...and save every photo you take).

The external storage idea is certainly more cost effective (cost/gig of storage)...and certainly more expandable (could have multiple drives).

An internal 128gig SSD is pretty small for most folks. So an internal SSD upgrade would probably be nice for just about any reason...not just photo storage. But again...this depends on what model MacBook Pro you have.

Bottom line...you need to develop a storage/organization plan that works for you...and stick to that plan...so that things stay organized...and don't have photos "everywhere"!;)

Do I have all of my computer stuff as well-organised as I would like??...no. But I also do not have that much to organize (I would probably be in great shape with just a 128gig SSD).:)

- Nick

p.s. Another idea is storing all of your photos online (in the cloud) with one of the online storage websites. Of course you would have to look into the costs...to see if this would work for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Good advice..... still wondering how to find and move my photos....

pigoo3 and chscag... thanks for the info. I was a pretty proficient file manager on my PC... although... I did have too many photos. It can get overwhelming... and I hate deleting photos... so I agree fully... Mac or PC... one needs a strategy.

What I wanted to do was put all my files on my network drive... but I don't know how to do that. I am running OS X 10.9.3 I don't know where they are... or how to find them. Sounds silly... but like I said.... brand new to the Mac world.

Looking for some real basic help... I think....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.