old imac (2000) + os x 3 = confused

B

batwmanda

i have an old imac that i dont really use any more as i have a pretty ibook but i want to up grade it from os x 10.0.4 to os x 10.3 which is the cd that came with my ibook.

so i want to format him can somebody help is this the right way to do this?

OP
J

JSchultz

I do not reccomend using an iBook restore CD for an iMac. Strange things could happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
JSchultz said:
I do not reccomend using an iBook restore CD for an iMac. Strange things could happen.

I used my iBook Jaguar disks to upgrade my older Power Macintosh G3 when I upgraded the iBook to Panther. They are complete OS X install disks, and there are no issues with using them. My recommendation would be to boot from the disks, launch Disk Utility to format the drive, then do a fresh installation on the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Padawan said:
I used my iBook Jaguar disks to upgrade my older Power Macintosh G3 when I upgraded the iBook to Panther. They are complete OS X install disks, and there are no issues with using them. My recommendation would be to boot from the disks, launch Disk Utility to format the drive, then do a fresh installation on the iMac.

Apart from the legal problem (the license of OS X that comes with a Mac is only valid for that Mac), install disks that come with newer Macs will not install on a different model of Mac than the one it came with.
This worked with older disks, but since a few years Apple has put a hardware check on the install disk which prevents it to be installed on a different model of Mac (which, as stated above, isn't legal, even if you're the owner of both Macs).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.