Windows on an external disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
First of all, I am sorry if this is not the place for the question. I stared at the screen for a while to find a good place for it, but nope...

Anyway, when I sold my desktop computer, I kept one of the hard drives for my archives. Then bought an external disk, so it is free now. I got a hard disk case for it and it's working great for now.

What I want to do is, install Windows on that disk, then use it whenever I want to play a game which is not available to Mac. Then I unplug it from the USB slot after shutting down Windows.

Is this possible? And, would you say that I would encounter many problems with this?

Also, if possible, how should I do it?

M

MacInWin

It's do-able, if you have a Windows install disk (retail, not OEM) and are willing to put up with horrible performance speeds. Having the boot drive on a USB port is NEVER swift.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I want to do is, install Windows on that disk, then use it whenever I want to play a game which is not available to Mac. Then I unplug it from the USB slot after shutting down Windows.

Is this possible? And, would you say that I would encounter many problems with this?

Also, if possible, how should I do it?

As Jake said, it's doable. However, the caveat here is that you will have to find a work around as Windows will not normally install to removable media unless you install it using virtual machine software. Do some googling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not installing on an external drive is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy measures AND this is not suggesting anything untowards by you mesut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.