Rename MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Mid 2010, iPad3, OSX 10.9.2
Hi,

I would like to know how to change the name of my MBP (mid 2010 Maveriks) It is presently called (MY NAME)'s Mac Book Pro). I travel a lot and spend weeks in hotels with WiFi or Ethernet and just realised that my real name is displayed to others on the network. If there is only an Ethernet cable, I use my Airport WiFi with a random name, but I am not sure if my computer name shows to others on the network.

If I can change the name, does this have any effect on my Apple account or anything else?

All help gratefully received.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not displayed to others on the network unless you have 'Sharing' turned on.
You would change the name shown on the network via the 'Sharing' preference pane.
It affects nothing except the name shown on the network.

However:
While traveling or using any public internet access - turn off sharing and use a VPN.

More tips here.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Mid 2010, iPad3, OSX 10.9.2
I have changed the name as you advised and I had turned off sharing a long time ago. Thank you for your confirmation. I now use a VPN.

Sad that the Internet is such a Jungle now and one has to watch one's back. Do you go as far back as the beginning of VOIP on a land line via Compuserve?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.