Formatting external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Mid 2010, iPad3, OSX 10.9.2
I have bought a WD 2Tb external hard drive. I would like to move my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to it from a Mac formatted 500Gb WD drive. I can't remember which format I used, it was a while ago.

(I plan to dedicate the 500Gb HD to Time Machine as back up. Which format to use?)

Which of the four Mac formats in Disc Utility, Erase, would be best for this purpose?

What are the implications of Journaled, Encrypted and Case Sensitive parameters?

I would like the JPEG's in the iPhoto library of my life to be easily seen by family members who use Windows, when I am gone. (Not being morbid, just thinking ahead.....).

I have also puchased Aperture, and, when I have time ,would like to get to know this better. I understand that a dedicated HD is preferable for this?

So which format to use and should I partion for future Aperture use?

All help gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only format to use is Mac OS Extended Journaled. Otherwise known as HFS+. Stay away from any encrypted format. Members of your family can always access the drive from their Windows computers with the addition of a driver added to Windows. There are several good ones but the one we recommend is sold by Paragon Software. You can go to their site and look for their driver which will allow read and write from Windows to a Mac. I believe the cost for that driver is $19.95 and works both ways.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Mid 2010, iPad3, OSX 10.9.2
Thank you for your reply, will take your advice.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.