Data backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
DONT double post, backup to a Ext HDD using either SuperDuper Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine. The first 2 are Cloning Apps, that will clone your MBA HD to the Ext HD and make it bootable, and Time machine will copy over all your files and it isn't bootable.

To restore, you use the Macs, Migration Assistant in the Utilities Folder once you have a Formatted Drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
i use Carbon Copy Cloner and backup to an external 1TB HDD via thunderbolt
its as easy as pie, you really dont need any instructions for using the program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
+1 for SuperDuper. It creates a bootable backup image of your internal drive, and could not be easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Want step by step procedure for data backup from macbook air to external hdd

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I'll just support the suggestions already given: 1) Use Time Machine (TM) on an external HD dedicated for just that purpose (I use two 1 TB HDs for my MBPro & iMac); 2) Use cloning software on another external HD, I have CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) which gives you a bootable drive (which TM will not) - for myself, both computers are cloned to another external HD w/ two partitions; and 3) Backup your personal files (e.g. Music, Photos, Documents, etc.) to yet another location - again for myself I use an online service for the iMac (i.e. Carbonite) and an external SSD for my MBPro files.

NOW, if you are located where your home and/or office might be subject to damage (e.g. criminals, weather, etc.), then you need to also backup to another location (such as a bank vault, an office, or other site) - my point is that if your 'data' is important (and certainly if critical as part of your job), then redundant backups are recommended. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Connect the external, go to Disk Utility and format the external Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition > Options and ensure GUID is selected. From there do as you wish to backup but I prefer SuperDuper which clones the drive to the external, and is bootable in case of emergency.

C

chas_m

1. Connect external drive

2. Computer will ask you if you want to use external drive for Time Machine. Click OK.

3. That's it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.