iphoto stopped recognizing iphone4

Reaction score
I can no longer import photos into iphoto from my iphone4. I can see my iphone's icon under devices in iphoto - but no photos! How do I resolve?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What OS is on the Mac? What version of iPhoto? Wat iOS are you running on your iPhone?
Are you up to date with everything ie: iOS and Mac OS and iPhoto ??
Did this just start to happen, or has it just happened ??
What happens if you open up Image Capture via Applications>Utilities Folder ?? Does the iPhone show up there and the photos as well ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Open the ”Image Capture” app while your iPhone is connected. It should show you the files lists (videos and photos) in the right window pane. Did that give you access to your photos/videos on your iPhone?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And - after you connect, take a look at your phone and see if it is asking if you want to trust this computer.

OP
H
Reaction score
I opened Image Capture. There are No photo files or video listed. I tried imovie for the video but it only recognizes Built-in isight. I have a macbook laptop. X10.6.8 - iphone 4. It's always worked until yesterday. Could the cable be the problem? I only have this one. I'll have to get another if you think it might be. Thanks for all of your advise. What should I try next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It could be the cable, but I doubt it, as it is seeing the iPhone in both Applications.
You could try repairing Disk Permissions via Disk Utility in the Utilities Folder.

Select the Macintosh HD in the Left pane, then First Aid in the top tabs, and then repair Permissions down the bottom of the window.
Let it do its job, (don't fret about all the error and problem permissions) and once it has finished (could take some time depending on the size of your disk) shut everything down, empty trash and restart your Mac and try again.
If that doesn't work, try a new cable and then come back and we can look at some .plists

OP
H
Reaction score
I ran First Aid

...like you suggested but it didn't work. I've attached a screen shot of the iphoto window. And imovie does not recognize my iphone at all. When I plug the USB cable to my MacBook, I get a prompt to "trust this computer" in my iphone window. Any thoughts now? Cable? Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
...like you suggested but it didn't work. I've attached a screen shot of the iphoto window. And imovie does not recognize my iphone at all. When I plug the USB cable to my MacBook, I get a prompt to "trust this computer" in my iphone window. Any thoughts now? Cable? Thank you.

And - after you connect, take a look at your phone and see if it is asking if you want to trust this computer.

You need to reply to that prompt on the phone or it is not going to appear on the computer.

OP
H
Reaction score
"Trust this computer"

Every time I plugged The USB cord in I received the option on my iphone to either "trust this computer" or "not to trust this computer". I of course tapped "trust this computer." I mean, why wouldn't I? It's my computer. What else can I try?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attach the phone - if it asks again, select Trust - if Image Capture opened, quit it (and quit iPhoto if it opened), then open Image Capture again - if it's still not being recognized, time to try another cable.

(You could also try a repair permissions - doubt it will do anything, but can't hurt anything either.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.