Time Machine Schedule

Reaction score
Hello. My new iMac 21" is up and running with everything finally copied across from my old Windoze machine. Now I'm getting to grips with backing up.

The Time machine is on and running to an external Hard Drive, and it does seem to be working swimmingly BUT does it have to back up every hour?

I'm not doing anything so important that I need to back up this often! Is there a way to change the schedule please to back up just once or twice a day?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Is there a way to change the schedule please to back up just once or twice a day?

Not within the Time Machine itself, but there's an excellent little app, called TimeMachineEditor that will let you customise your Time Machine backup schedule.

I've used it for over two years, if I remember correctly - it was recommended by the UK edition of MacFormat - and never had a single problem. I have a reasonably robust backup system outside the Time Machine, so like you, felt there's no need to run TM quite so often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Not within the Time Machine itself, but there's an excellent little app, called TimeMachineEditor that will let you customise your Time Machine backup schedule.

Another excellent alternative to this is TimeMachineScheduler. It has a couple options that TME is lacking, like specifying a time period to NOT do any backups. My only concern is that it hasn't seen an update since December and version 4.0 has been in beta for some time. I'm not noticing any issues on my end, but I'm a teensy bit worried that development has stalled.

M

MacInWin

+1 for TMS. I, too, am slightly concerned about development but the products works perfectly with Mavericks, so I can still recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Or you can also turn automatic updates off. Then whenever you want, manually choose "Back Up Now" by clicking on the icon in the upper right of your screen. This is what I do once a week. Open Time Machine Preferences if you wish to watch the progress bar so you know when it's done. Or don't. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 to what member "MYmacROX" does. The only caveat here is remembering to do it. ;D

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks all. That's helpful.

Second Question...

I've made a bootable thumb drive back up today, using Apple's "Recovery Disk Assistant" and I attempted to use it to boot up. I reached a login screen and logged in but thereafter the system just seemed to stall although the small activity wheel continued to turn. This went on for so long that I gave up and rebooted back to the Hard Drive. Is this normal? Does the bootable thumb drive take an age to get anywhere, or I do I appear to have a problem and need to rerun the backup?

If so, is there a better app to make a bootable USB thumb?

Thanks again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The USB bootable thumb drive version of Mavericks does take a fairly long time to display the selection screen. I also have a bootable copy of Mavericks on a USB 3.0 external drive which takes considerable time to boot to the desktop screen. But it does sound like your thumb drive may not be bootable. Might be a good idea to do it over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
+1 to what member "MYmacROX" does. The only caveat here is remembering to do it. ;D

Set a reminder on your Mac or phone?? ;D

C

chas_m

I think once a week is FAR to infrequent, while for some people every hour is far too much. I'd use (and have used) TME or TMS to set for, well, however much work you can afford to lose. For me, that's usually no more than a few hours.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once a week is probably not enough for most folks, however, I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to make daily backups. For me, a Time Machine backup once a week will suffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nothing good for Snow Leopard? I found iTMachine and installed it. It might allow you to shorten the interval for backups, but the maximum it would save is one hour.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TimeMachineScheduler works with Snow Leopard. Did you try it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, because the system requirements line says otherwise. I'll download it and see who is right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No, because the system requirements line says otherwise. I'll download it and see who is right!

That's the current version that says otherwise. There's a link to an older version for 10.5.8+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.