PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event to be held on Feb. 28...

to_tough_to_die
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Apple plans a special invitation-only event to introduce new products next week. The event happens on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

The invitation gives away precious little about what Apple has up its sleeve for the event.

“Come see some fun new products from Apple,” says the invitation received by Macworld. The e-mail features a large rendering of an iCal-style icon with the date set to February 28, 2006.

The event takes place at Apple Town Hall on Apple’s Cupertino campus.

Linky. (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/21/event/index.php?lsrc=rsswidget)

sherpa
02-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Linky. (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/21/event/index.php?lsrc=rsswidget)
An Apple PDA, perhaps?

That would be sweet. Even The Missing Sync doesn't fully resolve the gap between OS X and Palm O/S. One can only hope...

inflexion
02-22-2006, 05:42 AM
it might be coinsidental but there is a band playing at the regent street store to celebrate the billionth song sold via iTunes on the say day

kaidomac
02-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Ooh, I wonder if it will be an Intel-based Mini. I think I need to take up a second job to support my new Mac hobby lol :)

BoingoBongo
02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I know!

"Mac Hobby" is just about the most pleasant way I've heard it described. That's what I'm calling it from now on.

timswim78
02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I think that Apple will be unveiling their new AntiVirus software.
(Don't get all bent out of shape, I'm just kidding).

I'm guessing something media related (FrontRow, TV, Ipod, etc).

macAttack
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
the card said something "fun", so it has to be a media or home thing, ipod, front row, games?

MatCan
02-23-2006, 05:34 AM
New shuffle, media software, media hardware (possibly)... holding off my next purchase just incase... :P

boarderjosh10
02-23-2006, 08:51 AM
if they release a new iPod i will have to kill someone, I just got one of those a few weeks ago

Mr Bobbins
02-23-2006, 09:07 AM
if they release a new iPod i will have to kill someone, I just got one of those a few weeks ago
It maybe the new video ipod with 3.5-inch diagonal touch screen display filling the whole area of the front and eliminating the click wheel.

Sorry boarderjosh10 this has been rumoured for a while now and is really not worth going to prison for. :biohazard

drummaman1
02-25-2006, 12:10 PM
I know!

"Mac Hobby" is just about the most pleasant way I've heard it described. That's what I'm calling it from now on.

MacCrac?

sarahsboy18
02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
As far as big announcements... Intel Mac Mini... Maybe even the anouncement of the MacBook (Intel iBook) That's my guess...

mraya
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
I can't wait... i have finally decided to buy an iPod, so i hope they release a new model, if they do, i will drive 1hr to the AppleStore on wednesday...

bfx
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
On the software side saw a post in Apple's discussion area that Final Cut Express HD Intel version will be available in March.

Not an earth shaking event - just something I've been looking forward to.

bfx

kaidomac
02-25-2006, 04:48 PM
As far as big announcements... Intel Mac Mini... Maybe even the anouncement of the MacBook (Intel iBook) That's my guess...

Engadget has a photochop up here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/25/macbook-a-13-inch-widescreen-with-magsafe-and-isight/

I like how the iBooks look in white, but they seem to get so dirty. All the ones I've seen at the stores were more of a gray color from the use they got. I'd have to ship the 13-incher straight to Colorware if I got one, lol.

ByzantineRemnant
02-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I think, therefore I am.

I think we will see an upgraded Mac Mini, this much is obvious. I think it will have some sort of connection to the TV for downloading programs like Tivo. I also think we will see a redesigned iBook, possibly with a tablet version. I think the 14" and the 12" will be combined into a 13.3", and with elaborate customization options ie; super drive, video cards, etc. I do not think a new iPod is likey, nor a bluetooth mighty mouse. I do think they may launch an iTunes equivelant for movies. I think there will be dates on Apple's Pro Apps with universal binaries shipping soon. The PowerMac will not see an update. Has anyone else noticed there are no longer new 15" PowerBooks available on Apple's site? Hmm...

ByzantineRemnant
02-25-2006, 06:50 PM
I also think that iBook will keep its name. Steve Job said in his January keynote that he wanted to phase out "power" from their lines. People have said that Apple wants to have all their products with the word mac in them, yet this is not logcial. Apple's most succesful products as of late are the iPod and iTunes. iBook indeed has an ''i" in it, as well as the "book" monkier from the new MacBook Pro.

iMac
iBook
iTunes
iPod
MacMini
MacBookPro

I think the real question would be what are the Power Macs going to be called...

MPW
02-25-2006, 08:43 PM
People have said that Apple wants to have all their products with the word mac in them, yet this is not logcial.
============
No, Steve Jobs said it.

“A new computer called Macbook Pro, it’s a new name because we’re kind of done with power, and because we want the name Mac in the name of our products.”
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf06/

That is about 1hr23mins in.

dan828
02-25-2006, 10:33 PM
I think the real question would be what are the Power Macs going to be called...

Logicaly, you'd think they'll call it a Mac Pro, but whose to say? We'll find out in a few months ;)

kaidomac
02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Logicaly, you'd think they'll call it a Mac Pro, but whose to say? We'll find out in a few months ;)

I'm still holding on to "Big Mac" ;)

PowerBookG4
02-26-2006, 12:09 AM
There are so many things they could call it. I don't like the name, Mac Pro, its to short and does not give the compuer the respect it deserves.

to_tough_to_die
02-26-2006, 12:09 AM
I also think that iBook will keep its name. Steve Job said in his January keynote that he wanted to phase out "power" from their lines. People have said that Apple wants to have all their products with the word mac in them, yet this is not logcial. Apple's most succesful products as of late are the iPod and iTunes. iBook indeed has an ''i" in it, as well as the "book" monkier from the new MacBook Pro.

Actually, Jobs said he wanted the name 'Mac' in their products, and that they were done with high power consumption. The PowerBook name predates the Power achitecture of the PowerPC chips.

As for Apple's most succesful products having the letter 'i' in them, where did you get that? The 'i' has nothing to do with it...

ByzantineRemnant
02-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Its in my post, and in your quote. Ill be nice and copy/paste though...

Apple's most succesful products as of late are the iPod and iTunes.

We are talking about brand recognition, Apple is synonymous with iPod and iTunes, they both have the letter "i" in them...I cannot be more clear than that.

to_tough_to_die
02-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Its in my post, and in your quote. Ill be nice and copy/paste though...

Apple's most succesful products as of late are the iPod and iTunes.

We are talking about brand recognition, Apple is synonymous with iPod and iTunes, they both have the letter "i" in them...I cannot be more clear than that.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how the 'i' is that important. People know that Apple makes the products with the letter 'i' in them. It's not like consumers are that stupid (granted this is America, the only nation where people would go out and buy shirts that said "I'm ****ing stupid" if Drew Barrymore told them to).

mynameis
02-26-2006, 09:42 AM
I am kind of hoping for a replacement to the iBook. I would really like something with a bit more power and a better screen, but I don't want something as big as the MacBook Pro.

ByzantineRemnant
02-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I was thinking, maybe the new iBook, or MacBook will come in both white and black, like the iPod...

kaidomac
02-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry, I just don't see how the 'i' is that important. People know that Apple makes the products with the letter 'i' in them.

I think that partially it's a connotation thing. "i" = Apple = easy to use = reliable = cute = etc. iBook, iMac, iPod, iTunes...I think of easy & reliable when I think of those things. They're cool little computery things that work well.

TTT_Travis
02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I think its definately gonna be a mac mini and it will hopefully intergrate with media somehow. I hope I'm not disappointed like at macworld.

* gets apple giftcards ready *

bfx
02-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Right now I just wish it was about 2 PM PST on Feb 28th so we'd know what the deal is and be able to order. :smile:

bfx

BlindingLights
02-27-2006, 12:10 AM
if they come out with a better yet affordable laptop, I'll go and return my iMac and get it

I hope they don't come out with a new iPod, but something tells me they will

mac mini improvements look like a check

I think they'll leave the macbook pro alone for now

Maybe a more customizable iMac or more accessories for it...?

I hope they redo the iBook. If it's better than what it is now, I'm getting one to sync with my iMac (good to have a powerful desktop and a portable laptop lol)

anyway i can't wait to see what tuesday unravells

EDIT-XTREEM
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Actually, Jobs said he wanted the name 'Mac' in their products, and that they were done with high power consumption. The PowerBook name predates the Power achitecture of the PowerPC chips.

As for Apple's most succesful products having the letter 'i' in them, where did you get that? The 'i' has nothing to do with it...
so what the equivlent of the power mac? the mactowerpro?

Thad
02-28-2006, 01:02 AM
"We are talking about brand recognition, Apple is synonymous with iPod and iTunes, they both have the letter "i" in them...I cannot be more clear than that."

when Steve got back to Apple after NeXT he was appointed as iCEO or interim CEO so all those names are a bit of a jab

Also, did you Know Steves annual salary is just $1.00, talk about commitment

to_tough_to_die
02-28-2006, 03:11 AM
so what the equivlent of the power mac? the mactowerpro?

'Mac' is already in the name, so there won't be a change. You guys are forgetting that the 'Power' naming scheme isn' because of the PowerPC processors. It'll just be the PowerMac *Insert processor here* unless Apple just decides to "freshen things up" or some other crap like that.

yogi
02-28-2006, 05:40 AM
'Mac' is already in the name, so there won't be a change. You guys are forgetting that the 'Power' naming scheme isn' because of the PowerPC processors. It'll just be the PowerMac *Insert processor here* unless Apple just decides to "freshen things up" or some other crap like that.

You're right, hey i didn't think of that.
But then, stve kinda told us "they're done with power" so maybe he will freshen things up.
Macintosh Pro sounds nice to me. It's a mac. it's for pros.

to_tough_to_die
02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
You're right, hey i didn't think of that.
But then, stve kinda told us "they're done with power" so maybe he will freshen things up.
Macintosh Pro sounds nice to me. It's a mac. it's for pros.

I will admit, that does sound better than MacBook Pro. The thing about 'PowerBook' or 'PowerMac' or 'iBook' is that they sound more like words in the English language, not marketing terms, you know?

steidl705
02-28-2006, 10:32 AM
personally, i am just praying that it is the intel ibook (or whatever they decide to call it next).

that iPod boombox doesn't sounds too bad either.

kaidomac
02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
What are all of the events Apple has throughout the year? There's the January thing, then February, then April...expos, conferences, etc. Is there a set list?

BEEEsH
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
What are all of the events Apple has throughout the year? There's the January thing, then February, then April...expos, conferences, etc. Is there a set list?

There going to call it the Macintosh Professional.

JSchultz
02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
"We are talking about brand recognition, Apple is synonymous with iPod and iTunes, they both have the letter "i" in them...I cannot be more clear than that."

when Steve got back to Apple after NeXT he was appointed as iCEO or interim CEO so all those names are a bit of a jab

Also, did you Know Steves annual salary is just $1.00, talk about commitment

You should have added a smiley at the end, so I knew you were saying that tounge in cheek. I had to think about that for a second. I almost thought you were serious. Many other CEO's have a dollar salary, and stock options, etc..up the wazoo.

Anyways, what does this do for current mac mini's if they release a new one? Used Mini's are already cheap as it is, I can't imagine them dropping in price further because better, faster intel ones come out. Weird!

bfx
02-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Recalls Jobs losing a reported &1 billion in stock value when tech stocks crashed. Although the figure varied widely.

Lees than thirty minutes 'til launch time -

REALLY curious about what the announcememt will be -

Also wonders about price fallouts -

bfx -

Mr Bobbins
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
So, it's an ipod hifi and an intel Mac mini.

http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

mraya
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Why Steve?!? Why not new iPod this time?!? I had all my savings in my hand...

Mr Bobbins
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Me too, guess we will have to wait. :dummy:

mh10190
02-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Is the video of the keynote up????

to_tough_to_die
02-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Because the new iPods just came out a few months ago! Apple isn't the company that clutters up their product-lines like Creative does.

As for Jobs' salary, he makes $1 per year. No he doesn't get the other $49,999,999 in stock. But he also already has ridiculous amounts of Apple stock and money from other ventures (he freaking owned Pixar). Still though, you do have to give him something. Many CEO's take in millions after IPO's and then constantly collect more and more from their companies.

edgefusion
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I really want an iPod hifi. :(

And a new iPod.

And a new iMac... and a MacBook Pro...

to_tough_to_die
02-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Eh, I like my iHome. I don't need anything portable (I've got headphones for that).

mraya
02-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't think the main idea behind the iPod HiFi is just to be a portable device, i think it is a better companion for the MacMini. A MacMini has only a stereo audio output, it makes it a bad idea to mix it with a set of X.1 speakers. Now you can go to the Apple Store and get the MacMini (wich will play as a DVD and music player) and an ideal set of speakers (the iPod HiFi), as an extra bonus you can use this "speakers" with your iPod. It kinda reminds me of the smallest Bose DVD player.
Think about it, the iPod HiFi is supossed to be for "audiophiles", but the iPod is basically a MP3, AAC player, in order to trully take advantage of those +$300 speakers you should be using a real CD or at least AIFF. Apple has completed the full set for a media center.

to_tough_to_die
02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't think the main idea behind the iPod HiFi is just to be a portable device, i think it is a better companion for the MacMini. A MacMini has only a stereo audio output, it makes it a bad idea to mix it with a set of X.1 speakers. Now you can go to the Apple Store and get the MacMini (wich will play as a DVD and music player) and an ideal set of speakers (the iPod HiFi), as an extra bonus you can use this "speakers" with your iPod. It kinda reminds me of the smallest Bose DVD player.
Think about it, the iPod HiFi is supossed to be for "audiophiles", but the iPod is basically a MP3, AAC player, in order to trully take advantage of those +$300 speakers you should be using a real CD or at least AIFF. Apple has completed the full set for a media center.

We could get into it, but I consider myself an audiophile (read: my entire music collection (aside from audiocasts and three albums I bought off of the iTMS) is encoded in Apple Lossless), and many iPod users do to.

But I can see where you're coming from.