flash drive

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Your flash drive will usually show up in 2 places, one is your Desktop and the other is on the left in Finder. If you don't see it either of those places, perhaps your Mac couldn't recognize the flash drive.

You can open up Disk Utility from the Applications->Utilities folder and see what it reports for the flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Mine has never been able to read USB flash drives, either. I've tried everything. Please post (OP) if you've come up with a solution.

M

MacInWin

Does "Macintosh HD" show om the desktop? It should, as default. If it doesn't, you have a setting in System Preferences that has blocked it. What version OSX?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Firstly I would shut down your Mac and reboot twice, just to make sure the system temp files aren't corrupted. Also you did not say if you can see the drive in disk utility, if you can what is its format?

M

MacInWin

Actually that stopped occurring a while back.

Mac OS X v10.6: How to show your hard drive icon on the desktop

For a while they defaulted *all* drives off the desktop, but in some random point release they added removable media back.
I asked because when I installed Mavericks, it defaulted to not showing the drives on the desktop. And that meant when I inserted a USB stick, it also did not show up. I changed the setting in Finder preferences, as I recall. But the OP didn't say what version OSX, so it may or may not be part of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.