airport express LAN

S

sketch13

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to set-up airport express (the one that looks like an oversized ipod charger) to act as a wireless access point on a hardwired LAN

The basic set-up is this, we have a mixture of windows and macs, laptops and desktops. I want to know if i can set up a LAN that will hardwire all the desktops to the internet via an ASDL modem and 4 port router.
Then on one of the router ports connect airport express so that all of the laptops can have raoming access.

I think that it could possible, but am unsure whether airport express will accept a LAN like this and pass it on to the laptops.

Any thoughts?

sketch13

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
sketch13 said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to set-up airport express (the one that looks like an oversized ipod charger) to act as a wireless access point on a hardwired LAN

The basic set-up is this, we have a mixture of windows and macs, laptops and desktops. I want to know if i can set up a LAN that will hardwire all the desktops to the internet via an ASDL modem and 4 port router.
Then on one of the router ports connect airport express so that all of the laptops can have raoming access.

I think that it could possible, but am unsure whether airport express will accept a LAN like this and pass it on to the laptops.

Any thoughts?

sketch13

i did this with an airport extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes you can do it with the express.. its quite easy, and works really well, my network consist of hard wired computers, 2 airport expresses and 1 airport extreme and the network flys even for the wireless computers.

OP
S

sketch13

hey guys,

cheers for the replies, was just the answer that i was looking for.
can i just confirm with you all, that this is possible without an airport extreme base station. or do i have to buy one of those also.

Sketch13

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.