Recovering from time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
I just bought a new computer a month ago and thought everything was done with migration.
BUT I just found a whole file of photos missing that never made it over.
I wiped out and sold that iMac , but have it on Time Machine.
How do I go about bringing that folder over now to my new computer?
Step by step please I am not too savvy.

I did not do orig migration , so really do not know where (or how) to go into time machine to find my old iMac folders.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Attach the external Time Machine drive to your new Mac and enter Time Machine from System Preferences, "Time Machine". Select a date on the right side that you know the photos were present. Open that date like you would in Finder and then go to your iPhoto library folder and select "restore". It will ask you where you wish to restore it to. Select the iPhoto library on your new Mac.

Remember... if you have added photos since then, they will be overwritten by the iPhoto library you're restoring. So if you have made any new photos, make sure you have a copy of them elsewhere.

C

chas_m

Alternative method that won't erase your present photos:

1. Open the time machine drive.
2. Locate the folder of photos (I'm assuming that you literally mean a folder of photos, not an album or event in iPhoto)
3. Drag them over to the same location on your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.