imac headphone socket

Reaction score
I'm using a Toslink 3.55mm adapter for optical sound but the socket connection is floppy, any better ones out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) From your rather terse question, I'm not completely sure what you are trying to accomplish? Please tell us what computer you are using (model/year) and what you want to do w/ this optical sound (headphones, external speakers, etc.)? Also, provide information on the adapter you are currently using (links and/or pics would help). Dave

Reaction score
Which connection? The phone jack part or the optical connection on the other end?

OP
T
Reaction score
iMac headphone socket

Apologies for being vague.

The iMac is a month old, and I'm using the optical out (headphone socket) to send audio to the Hi Fi system.

The 3.5mmm mini Toslink to Toslink adapter appears to be the same as the other ones I've seen - cheap. It does not 'lock' into the headphone socket . It works fine in a good quality 3.5mm stereo jack socket and a good quality 3.5mm stereo jack plug works fine in the iMac headphone socket. The socket on the iMac is therefore okay so it is the combination of the two. If there is a better Toslink adapter around which anyone is aware of, please let me know.

Reaction score
Probably all much the same. I think I got mine from Newegg. Just keep trying until you find a good one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I quit buying the adapter and instead buy mini-toslink to toslink cables. Have several I've purchased from both Amazon and monoprice, and pretty sure all of them for about $5 or less. The cables are going to be about the same price as a good adapter. Learned my lesson - Don't buy the less than $1 connectors from Amazon.

Key note for everyone when connecting audio and video equipment - never use an adapter unless that is the only option - all they do is introduce another failure point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.