Newb ?'s--easy for someone I hope

R

rachaelandstu

Power Mac G4 with OS 10.1.2---I have to programs(Quark and CS2) that requires at least 10.2. If I buy 10.2, all I need to do is install it and I'm good? And would that be an upgrade or an update i.e. will it be a new OS or just an improved OS X?

I am a master of the PC(self proclaimed!) but a neophyte to the Apples. Can I network my PC printer to the Mac, or is there conflict? Or if I have an old inkjet I used to use on my PC, would I be able to use that with the Mac?

Thanks and sorry if these were already posted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A) What are the specs?

B) Should be fine.

C) It will be more of an improved OS X. If I knew the specs I could reccomend the best OS.

OP
R

rachaelandstu

to_tough_to_die said:
A) What are the specs?

B) Should be fine.

C) It will be more of an improved OS X. If I knew the specs I could reccomend the best OS.

Oh sorry thanks for replying.

PowerPC G4
256 Ram (I think I can only get 512 tops)
15"
700 mhz
40GB HD(I think)

That right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No too shabby...

To work with those apps, I'd recommend adding more RAM though...
10.2. is better than 10.1., but 10.3. & 10.4. have quite a few improvements over it.
I'd try to upgrade to at least 10.3...

If it's a G4 Powermac, you should be able to add at least another GB of RAM (up to 1,5GB)

Printers:

Yes, the mac can use shared networked printers, this is easier in 10.3 though...
If your old printer has a USB connection you could just directly connect that as well...

OP
R

rachaelandstu

You have no idea the pain I was enduring over this stuff. Thanks for your help, I hope I can add at least a gig of ram, it will most likely be paramount to the programs I'll be running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.