Which OS do I have?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook 13. How can I identify the OS I have? Looking at an "X" does not do me justice.

Also, can anyone tell me what the order of OS's are? example lion, then, leopard, then jaguar, etc

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Click the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this Mac. Your version 10.x will be there.

Also, the most recent versions are 10.5 Leopard>10.6 Snow Leopard>10.7 Lion>10.8 Mountain Lion>10.9 Mavericks

modified.png

OP
VikkeyMac
Reaction score
I think I got it. I have OS X 10.6.8 If I understand correctly, this means that I have Snow Leopard, Right?

and that I should upgrade to Lion. Thank you kindly for your rapid reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I think I got it. I have OS X 10.6.8 If I understand correctly, this means that I have Snow Leopard, Right?

Yes, 10.6.8 is the latest release of Snow Leopard. Mavericks is the current OS, and I'm not really sure if you can even get Lion anymore. Do you have any legacy apps on your Mac? Before you upgrade please research all of your applications to make sure with a new OS that they don't become incompatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Yes, 10.6.8 is the latest release of Snow Leopard. Mavericks is the current OS, and I'm not really sure if you can even get Lion anymore. Do you have any legacy apps on your Mac? Before you upgrade please research all of your applications to make sure with a new OS that they don't become incompatible.

Hi Vikkey - great advice above - depending on your hardware & your current installed software, upgrading will be a potential issue; so, please post back what apps your currently are using (and their versions) - you might be able to upgrade to a certain point but no further? Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.