• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Fixing too loud audio in iMovie 10.0.2

Reaction score
I shot a video after upgrading my firmware in my Canon 7D. I used the same lav mic I've used many times before and never had a problem with it, but this time the audio came out alarmingly loud, which I didn't discover until I played it back on the computer. It's like there's a buzz to the voice. You can understand what they're saying, and if I reduce the volume there is still that "buzz" type sound. Is there a way to fix this in iMovie? I dodn't know how to send a soundtrack so you can hear it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

C

chas_m

No way to fix that in iMovie. You can separate the audio from the movie, take the sound into an audio editor and see if you can fix it (hint: izotrope's declipper plug in MIGHT help you -- costs $$), then put the fixed audio file back on the video and hope you get the sync-up spot on.

There's also overdubbing new sound over what got all distorted if you don't want to do that -- any chance of getting the participants and wild sound to do a little ADR?

Reaction score
Fixing that is going to be difficult at best.
As far as the original cause, does your camera now have a manual audio levels adjustment where it didn't have one before the update? If so, that is where your original problem lies-- you need to bring the levels down.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, the camera now does. The lav mic always worked perfectly before I did the firmware upgrade. Never a problem. I have done everything possible and even tried some other "fixers". The client does not want a re-shoot and feels it's good enough with my "adjustments". If I would have used the shotgun mic it would have been fine. It's embarrassing to me, but gotta go w/ the client.

Live and learn to do an upgrade and then completely test before shooting. I've done this for 30 years and am still missing things..... hehe

I've now adjusted the lav mic and all works fine............. better late than never, I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.